Ylang-ylang essential oil is valued in aromatherapy because of its aromatic scent that provides a relaxing effect, as well as promoting positivity in life. Furthermore, it has also been used in boosting healthy hair and skin.
This essential oil is proven to be helpful if you are suffering from stress, anxiety or depression for it will soothe your mind and body, as well as taking away all your negativities in life. It is also used in treating nausea, headaches and different skin conditions.
Aside from the physical and emotional support that the ylang-ylang oil provides, the fruity, floral and sweet scent it holds is also perfect to use it as an ingredient in perfumes, different cosmetic products and hair products.
Read and discover the different uses and benefits of ylang-ylang essential oil.
Origin of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang tree or Cananga odorata has fragrant greenish-yellow flowers. It is an exotic tropical tree that has its origins in Asia specifically from the countries of Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia which is valued for its perfume.
The term ylang-ylang is commonly mistranslated as the flower of flowers. The etymology of ylang-ylang has its origins from the Filipino language. It comes from the Tagalog word ilang which means ‘wilderness’, possibly implying to the tree’s natural habitat.
Moreover, there is also a term alang-ilang that means ‘hanging’, which perfectly describes the dangling condition of ylang-ylang flowers.
The extraction method used is through steam distillation of the ylang-ylang flowers, that produces a heart note or middle perfumery note because of its sweet, floral and a bit of fruity fragrance.
1. Mood Enhancer and Energy Booster. It can lift mood and uplift your spirits. Also, boost your energy and induce positive feelings making you see the bright side of things and having a more optimistic perspective in life.
2. Improves Blood Flow. It regulates the proper circulation of blood in your body. Also, it effectively supports the nervous system for it has the ability to protect nerves and repair damaged nerves.
3. Aids Digestion. It regulates healthy intestinal function, improves appetite and aids digestive problems such as indigestion, constipation. It can also cure and prevent infections in internal organs, specifically the stomach, colon and urinary tract.
4. Heart Health. It can reduce your risk of having heart disease and cardiac arrest since it contains antioxidant properties. It also promotes regular heartbeat and healthy blood pressure levels.
5. Anxiety and Stress Reliever. Ylang-ylang oil contains antidepressant properties and a natural sedative, the reason why it is helpful for inducing sleep, as well as reducing your stress and anxiety levels. In addition, it is also helpful to people who are suffering from sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea.
6. Fast Healing of Wounds. Since ylang-ylang oil has antiseptic properties, it can speed up the healing of wounds and cuts. It can also prevent wounds from having different kinds of infection and tetanus.
7. Skin Health. It reduces your risk of having skin cancer. Also, fights eczema and treats various skin conditions. It balances natural oil production on your skin. This oil is also ideal for all skin types and is praised for treating acne and oily skin.
8. Natural Menstrual Support. It can give you relief if you are suffering from menstrual pain and cramps since it is a natural analgesic. Also, reduces symptoms of premenstrual and post-menstrual syndrome while balancing your hormones.
9. Hair Health. You can use this oil for hair protection when you are under the scorching heat of the sun or during the summer season. Aside from this, it promotes strong, thick and shiny hair. You can use it as a hair and scalp tonic if you are suffering from alopecia or hair loss.
10. Ease Muscle and Joint Pain. You can dilute the ylang-ylang essential oil with carrier oils like sweet almond and coconut oil. Then use it to massage areas of your body that have muscle or joint pain. It can effectively alleviate the pain and inflammation.
Directions for Use
Just always remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels. Also, consult your healthcare provider and ask for professional advice before starting to use any kind of products that can affect your health.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist and health practitioner. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from ylang-ylang essential oil, it can also be used in a variety of ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of ylang-ylang oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will promote tranquillity and provide an uplifting vibe for your mind and body.
Massage. You can mix 5 to 10 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil with one tablespoon of carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil, then gently massage over the skin to revitalize your body or soothe menstrual cramps.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of ylang-ylang oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying to your body or pillows to promote relaxation and a restful sleep.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or put a few drops on your handkerchief, it will help relieve and ease your nervousness, stress levels and premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Bath. Mix 3 to 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil with one tablespoon of any carrier oil or 1 cup of Epsom salts on your bath water for a relaxing bath after a tiring day at work that will surely reduce the effects of stress.
Try these ylang-ylang essential oil diffuser blend recipes:
For Relaxation and Good Night Sleep
-2 drops of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil -2 drops of Patchouli Essential Oil -3 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil -4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
For High Blood Pressure
-2 drops of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil -2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -1 drop of Sweet Orange Essential Oil -1 drop of Lemongrass Essential Oil
For Positivity and Happiness
-2 drops of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil -2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -2 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
For Creativity Boost
-3 drops of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil -3 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil -5 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Do not take orally. Always remember not to take essential oils internally for they are highly concentrated. Excessive or large intake of ylang-ylang oil has been associated with serious side effects such as nausea, vomiting and headache.
Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin should be cautious when using this kind of product for it may irritate their skin. They should dilute the ylang-ylang oil with milder carrier oils such as coconut or jojoba oil. It is better to do a skin patch test first to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions when the oil is applied directly to the skin.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause adverse effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist before using the product.
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individuals can experience an allergic reaction to ylang-ylang. Some of the signs include headaches, rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to ylang-ylang essential oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.