What is Sweet Almond Carrier Oil?
Sweet almond carrier oil is considered as one of the best multipurpose carrier oils for it is frequently used in a lot of things. It has an exotic, balsamic note and nutty aroma. Also, its oil is edible, the reason why it is used in cooking healthy dishes, making cosmetic products, as well as different hair products.
Sweet almond oil contains nutrients and vitamins that can give you a lot of health benefits. It can protect your skin from UV rays because it contains Vitamin E. It is also used in soaps, massage oils and bath oils for it is popular in nourishing and moisturizing the skin.
Furthermore, it is common in diluting essential oils to make them less concentrated and safer for direct application to the skin. It blends well with essential oils for it has a mild smell and the skin absorbs it easily.
Read on to find out the surprising uses and benefits of the sweet almond carrier oil and what it can offer to your skin, hair and overall health.
Origin of Sweet Almond Carrier Oil
Sweet almond or Prunus dulcis var. dulcis is native to hot and tropical climates like the Mediterranean Region, Middle East and Southwest Asia. Today, sweet almond carrier oil is now popularly used in the different parts of the world.
But, did you know that the sweet almond oil was already used since ancient times for treating skin disorders that involve dry skin such as eczema and psoriasis. Well, its oil was used in Ayurvedic, Ancient Chinese and Greco-Persian schools of Medicine to treat skin disorders.
There are two major varieties of almonds, the sweet almond and the bitter almond. Between these two, sweet almonds are usually used for oil extraction because it is safer. On the other hand, bitter almonds can produce dangerous levels of cyanide since it has a compound called cyanogenic glycoside.
The extraction method used is through cold expression or cold pressing where the kernels of dried sweet almonds are pressed in a machine to get the oil from the almonds.
Major Composition of Sweet Almond Oil
● Oleic Acid ● Linoleic Acid
● Palmitic Acid ● Palmitoleic Acid
● Stearic Acid ● beta-Sitosterol
● alpha-Tocopherol ● L-arginine
Uses and Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil
1. Skin Care. Sweet almond oil is hypoallergenic and essential for moisturizing dry, sensitive skin, making it smooth and flawless since it is an emollient. It is ideal for oily skin, dry skin and sensitive skin. You can even use it on your baby’s skin since it is mild and hypoallergenic. Can be used as a skin remedy where it can heal skin and diaper rashes.
2. Facial Care. This oil can be used as a facial cleanser and toner for all types of skin. It can be used to remove makeup and clear clogged pores while making your skin smooth and moisturized. Furthermore, it can reduce wrinkles by tightening your skin and removing dark circles around your eyes.
3. Heart Health. Sweet almond is rich in unsaturated fats and potassium levels that is why it can help improve and regulate your cholesterol levels. In addition, it can reduce your risk of having cardiovascular disease and diabetes. You can mix sweet almond oil into salads and use it for frying, which is healthier compared to other types of cooking oil.
4. Hair Care. Applying sweet almond oil in your hair and scalp can make your hair softer, stronger and longer. You can also use this if you have thinning hair in order to promote hair growth. Also, it can treat and remove dandruff while reducing the dryness of your scalp.
5. Aids Digestion. Sweet almond carrier oil is a natural laxative which can help aid different digestive problems such as bloating, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. In addition, it can also improve your digestion and aid in weight loss.
6. Boosts Memory. Helps strengthen your nervous system and improve your brain health by boosting your memory. This oil is proven to be good for your brain development since it contains different nutrients and vitamins. Helps prevent early signs of dementia and reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
7. Natural Painkiller. Can reduce muscle pain, spasms and joint aches by relaxing tensed muscles for it has antispasmodic effects. It can also alleviate inflammation in the different parts of your body. Can give relief to people who are suffering from musculoskeletal disorders such as osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Anti-cancer Properties. It contains anti-cancer properties since sweet almonds are high in antioxidants and other important nutrients which can help fight cancer cells. Researchers believe that sweet almond oil is ideal in preventing certain types of cancer such as colon, bladder, uterus and breast cancer.
9. Energy Booster. Can combat fatigue, boost energy and improve your stamina. It also strengthens your immune system for it contains immunity-boosting effects due to the different vitamins and minerals, some of these are vitamins A, E, magnesium and potassium.10. Reduces Stress and Anxiety. The sweet almond oil can help in overcoming feelings of depression and in reducing stress and anxiety levels. Furthermore, it can help in balancing your emotions while getting rid of oxidative stress and free radicals in your body.
Directions for Use
Always keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to consistently follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the sweet almond carrier oil, it can also be used in different ways. Some of these are:
- Diffuser. An essential carrier oil used for diluting essential oils. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will bring an uplifting vibe in the air, reducing your stress levels and promote feelings of happiness.
- Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, just combine 4 tablespoons of sweet almond oil and 8 drops of essential oil, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body, soothe your skin or treat muscle spasms and cramps.
- Spritz. Mix with other essential oil in a 100ml water in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying, to refresh your skin. You can also use it as a facial toner making your skin smooth, soft and supple.
- Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing, skin hydration and ease nervous tension.
- Bath. Mix sweet almond carrier oil with any essential oil. Add 5 to 11 drops of essential oil for every ounce of the sweet almond oil into the water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation. It will hydrate and moisturize your skin.
Try these sweet almond carrier oil recipes:
For Arthritis Relief
For Hydrating Dry Skin-5 drops of Patchouli Essential Oil
For Moisturising Dry Coarse Hair
-1 tablespoon Sweet Almond Carrier Oil
-1 small fully-ripe avocado
-one-half cup of milk
Mix the following ingredients to make a natural homemade hair mask that will nourish and moisturize your hair and scalp, making it stronger and dandruff-free. Cover your hair with a plastic cap and let the mixture remain for at least an hour before rinsing.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reactions. Sweet almond oil is safe for internal use. However, avoid using this kind of oil if you have allergy in nuts. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to sweet almond oil. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to sweet almond oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Antidiabetes Medications. Sweet almond oil can lower your blood sugar levels. Avoid this, if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking antidiabetes medications for it could increase the effects of the drugs which could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.
Surgery. Since sweet almond carrier oil can lower your blood sugar levels, it might interfere with blood sugar control before and after surgical procedures. You should stop using this kind of product at least two weeks before an arranged surgery.