Sea buckthorn fruit are bright-orange berries that are packed with lots of vitamins especially ascorbic acid, where it contains higher levels of vitamin C compared to oranges. It is great for making sea buckthorn juice, purée and sauce. It is known for its tartness and holds a strong, distinct and fruity flavour.
One of its popular use is for softening the skin since it is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the reason why it is used in cosmetic products especially when it comes to skincare, and anti-ageing blends.
Sea buckthorn can be consumed as food where it can be used in making different recipes. A rich source of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids the reason why it is used for cosmetic applications. It has a little oily smell similar to vegetable oils which makes it ideal for massage use and skin applications.
Read and know the different uses and health benefits of sea buckthorn berries.
Origin of Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil
Sea buckthorn or Hippophae rhamnoides has been considered as a traditional medicine that grows in parts of Central Asia and Europe. In addition, researchers say that the sea buckthorn oil originated from the Himalayan regions.
The biggest producer of sea buckthorn berries is China where it produces about ninety per cent of the fruit in the world market. It is also used as an essential ingredient to different Chinese medications for the blood, heart and liver.
The extraction method used is through cold pressing or cold expression of the seeds and pulp of sea buckthorn berries. Sea buckthorn berries may be small in size, yet they contain big health benefits for your body.
1.Skin Care. When applied to the skin it protects against free radicals, making your skin smooth. Prevents premature ageing because of its high levels of antioxidants. It can also give sunburn relief and speeds up healing of wounds, cuts and reduces the appearances of stretch marks and acne.
2. Liver Health. Has hepaprotective effects which can help in removing toxins from your liver and body. Clinical studies have found that sea buckthorn herbal oil can normalize liver enzymes and bile acids.
3. Boosts Energy. Since it contains essential and nutrients that the body needs, it helps boost your energy levels throughout the day and reduces symptoms of fatigue and tiredness.
4. Heart Health. Effectively lowers your cholesterol levels which can help in promoting your heart health and preventing different cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension and stroke attacks.
5. Immunity Boost. Since sea buckthorn berries are packed with vitamins and nutrients, it can boost your body’s defences and strengthens your immunity making you safe from different kinds of infections and diseases.
6. Anti-diabetic Properties. One of the major chemical compounds found in sea buckthorn berries called palmitoleic acidcan actually help manage and control your blood glucose levels especially with people who have type-2 diabetes.
7. Aids Digestion. When consumed orally, sea buckthorn berries can help aid the digestion process and promote a healthy digestive system. It also helps prevent and cure digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and gastric ulcers.
8. Enhances Memory. Studies show that eating sea buckthorn can enhance memory and improve cognitive health where it can prevent brain damage and memory decline.
9. Muscle Ache and Joint Pain. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help in treating inflamed areas of your body or if you are suffering from muscle ache and joint pain.
10. Eye Health. Sea buckthorns are a rich source of vitamin E and antioxidants that can help promote eye health by preventing oxidative damage,improve eyesight and can give relief on dry eyes.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have side effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the sea buckthorn carrier oil, it can also be used in a variety of ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired amount of sea buckthorn carrier oil, then mix in a diffuser with other essential oils to dilute them. It is very important to dilute essential oils since they are pure oil extract.This will surely help you feel calm and lift your spirits.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to moisturise your body and support your overall health.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of essential oil for every teaspoon of sea buckthorn oil, then mix with 2 ounces of spritz bottle filled with water. You need to shake well before each use before spraying.
Bath. You can combine any essential oils to sea buckthorn carrier oil. You only need to mix 3 to 12 drops of any essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil. This will surely provide you with a therapeutic and aromatic bath.
Try these sea buckthorn recipes:
For Youthful Skin
-1 tbsp of Rosehip Carrier Oil -1 tbsp of Jojoba Carrier Oil -1/2 tsp of Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil -3 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil -3 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
Directions: Mix the carrier and essential oils in a 2 oz amber glass dropper bottles using a small funnel. You need to shake well before each use so the oils will blend well. Use the homemade anti-ageing serum every night to rejuvenate skin.
For Acne Prevention
-1/2 tsp of Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil -2 tbsp of Argan Carrier Oil -2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -2 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil -2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
Directions: Mix all the ingredients inside the glass dropper bottle using a small funnel. You need to shake well before each use. You can use this recipe every night to treat acne and repair skin.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects like seizures when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist before using the oil externally or internally.
Anticoagulants. These are anti-platelet and blood-thinning medications such as heparin, warfarin, apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban usually used to prevent blood clots. Sea buckthorn is known to be a natural blood thinner and can have interactions with these kinds of medications which can lead to bruises and bleeding.
Surgery. Since sea buckthorn might affect blood sugar levels, there is concern that it might make blood sugar control difficult during and after surgery. Stop using sea buckthorn oil at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Antidiabetes Medications. Sea buckthorn oil can lower your blood sugar levels. Avoid this, if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking antidiabetes medications for it could increase the effects of the drugs which could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …
Items have been added to your cart
This product has been added to your cart.
Please select below how you would like to proceed.