The use of sandalwood essential oil dates back since the early times for it is commonly used in spiritual applications. Sandalwood essential oil spiritual benefits include promoting inner peace and tranquility. Sandalwood oil is one of the quality oils that has a sweet woody aroma and exotic aroma that can bring feelings of harmony and peace. It also effectively promote healing and protection.
This oil is ideal for meditation, in fact, it is essential in religious and traditional ceremonies since the ancient times for it brings serenity. Aside from this, sandalwood oil is commonly used in making perfumes, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
Furthermore, powdered sandalwoods are used to make incense sticks, the reason why sandalwood plays a major role in spiritual traditions.
Read and discover the wonders of the sandalwood tree and what are the benefits you can get from its sacred oil.
Origin of Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood trees are hemiparasite, which means it benefits from other plants by connecting their roots to it. Sandalwoods cannot survive if they are not planted next to a suitable host plant.
Australian sandalwood dubbed as the ‘wooden gold’ is one of the most expensive timbers in the world market. The distillation process used is the steam distillation of the aromatic heartwood of the sandalwood tree.
Sandalwood oil is one of the most expensive oils in aromatherapy because of the difficult process of extraction. Moreover, a long waiting period is needed to harvest a full-grown tree that can be used for oil extraction.
The sandalwood oil is usually extracted from two different varieties of sandalwood tree. These varieties are the Australian sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) and the Indian sandalwood (Santalum album).
Here in Australia, the state of Western Australia have the largest natural sandalwood resource in the market. Sandalwood is one of Western Australia's major exports. According to the WA Sandalwood Plantations, the global demand for Australian sandalwood essential oil has grown rapidly. It is focused in particular on Western Australian sandalwood for the last couple of hundred years.
1. Regulates the Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Levels. It has been proven that sandalwood can regulate and reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure in hypertensive patients. Also, reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
2. Anti-inflammatory Properties. One of sandalwood oil active ingredients called santalol acts like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAID medications.. It can also provide comfort from insect bites and inflamed areas of your skin.
3. Skin Care. Sandalwood can help reduce the appearances of scars, spots and blemishes. It also helps fight early signs of ageing by tightening and soothing the skin. It can also reduce your risk of acquiring skin cancer due to its active ingredient called alpha-santalol.
4. Boosts Immunity. Helps stimulate the immune system by protecting your body against dangerous diseases and viruses for it has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It can also help in treating cold and flu.
5. Aids Digestion. Sandalwood oil can help prevent digestive problems such as constipation, bloating and diarrhoea through preventing gas formation in your digestive tract. In addition, it can also treat urinary infections by releasing toxins in your body.
6. Dental and Oral Health. Help strengthen your teeth and gums delaying early loss of teeth. Can treat gingivitis, loose gums, sore throat and other dental problems for it has astringent properties. All you need to do is add three drops of sandalwood oil in one cup of lukewarm water.
7. Improves Brain Health. It can improve your memory and concentration while reducing symptoms of mental fatigue. In addition, it was used by indigenous Australians for thousands of years in promoting focus and inducing mind relaxation.
8. Respiratory Health. It is helpful to ease respiratory problems and congestion. Also promotes healthy respiratory system reducing the risk of respiratory disorders such as bronchitis, pneumonia and asthma attack.
9. Natural Sleep Aid. Can be used as a natural remedy for insomnia due to its sedative properties which can bring a calming feeling. It can promote restful sleep after a hard day’s work and hectic schedule.
10. Eases Muscle and Joint Pain. This oil contains antispasmodic properties that suppress muscle spasms and joint pain. It can also regulate the proper functioning of your nerves and blood vessels.
Directions for Use
Directions for Use
You always need to remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage. It is very important to always follow directions on product label. Consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from sandalwood essential oil, it can also be used in many ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of sandalwood oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will induce relaxation and a feeling of peacefulness which you can use when you are meditating.
Massage. You can use it with other essential, carrier and massage oils. Gently massage over your body to give relief on spasms, muscle and joint pain. You can also use this to nourish and soothe skin.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spray bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to enhance your mood, moisturise skin or you can use it as a natural perfume.
Inhalation. You can inhale the sandalwood essential oil inside the bottle or put a few drops of oil on your handkerchief. It will help enhance easy breathing and clear congestion.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to your bath water. Then, mix for an aromatic bath that will ease your stress levels and calm your nerves.
Try these Sandalwood Essential Oil recipes:
-5 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -3 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil -3 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
For Uplifting Spirit
-2 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil -2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil -3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil -3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
For Peaceful Mind
-4 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil -3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -2 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -1 drop of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Hypotension. Sandalwood oil is not appropriate for individuals who have low blood pressure or hypotension. Sandalwood has hypotensive effects which can contribute to the dropping of your blood pressure readings.
Do not take orally. Always remember not to take essential oils internally. Large intake of sandalwood essential oil has been associated with serious reactions such as vomiting and diarrhoea.
For Children and Pregnant Women. Pure essential oil products should be kept out of reach of children. It may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist.
Sensitive Skin. People with skin sensitivity should be cautious when using this kind of product for it may irritate and damage their skin. They should dilute the sandalwood oil with another carrier oil such as jojoba oil. Do a skin patch test before use to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions.
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to sandalwood oil. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to sandalwood oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …
Items have been added to your cart
This product has been added to your cart.
Please select below how you would like to proceed.