What is Rose Otto?
Roses are the epitome of love and beauty, that's why they are usually given as gifts to express feelings of love and passion to someone special. But, aside from this, this flowering plant is also harvested because it is necessary to perfumery, food sector and pharmaceutical industry.
Roses are not just only a wonderful gift to send or receive, its oil offers a lot of health benefits for you and your loved ones. Its strong sweet, floral fragrance can uplift your spirits, bring feelings of love and comfort while giving balance and harmony to your mind and body.
Rose Otto or rose oil is also known for its benefits to the skin and has been used since the ancient times for beauty care. In fact, the Egyptian queen, Cleopatra used rose water as part of her beauty regime to make her skin youthful.
Read on and discover what are the uses and benefits you could get from the aromatic rose otto essential oil.
Origin of Rose Otto
There are different varieties of roses which differs with their colours and scent. But, rose otto essential oil is usually extracted from three different varieties of flowers. These include the French rose, Provence rose and Damask rose. Among the three, rose otto usually comes from the Damask Rose or rosa damascena.
Furthermore, rose otto is different from rose absolute oil with the extraction method used. For rose otto, the method is steam distillation, while for rose absolute, the solvent extraction method was used. Also, rose otto has more therapeutic properties compared to the rose absolute.
The Damask rose is native in the Middle East. It was also believed that the Damask rose originated from Damascus, Syria and was brought to Europe by the returning Crusaders in the 13th century. On the other hand, rose otto or rose oil extract was first created in Greece.
It also requires 30 to 50 roses to produce a single drop of rose otto essential oil. The rose essence is under the top perfumery note or head note due to its strong floral fragrance.
Major Composition of Rose Otto
● Citronellol ● Geraniol
● Nerol ● Methyeugenol
● Linalool ● Citronellyl Acetate
● Nonadecane ● Phenyl Ethanol
Uses and Benefits of Rose Otto
1. Skin Health. Contains anti-inflammatory properties that could help in treating inflamed areas of the skin and other skin disorders such as acne and rosacea. Also, reduces the appearance of stretch marks and scars making your skin healthy and youthful.
2. Balances Hormones. Balances your body’s energy and regulate hormones which promote healthy wellbeing that could affect your overall health. It can also provide mood boost making you more positive in life.
3. Stress and Anxiety Reducer. Calms the mind and cools anger. Also, helps fight depression, stress and anxiety levels. It can also be helpful for people who are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and induce sleep for people with insomnia.
4. Natural Painkiller. An essential oil for your musculoskeletal system for it has antispasmodic and analgesic properties that could help reduce muscle pain, joint pain, spasms and cramps.
5. Hair and Dental Health. It has been said that rose otto oil can promote hair growth and can make your scalp and hair healthy. For your oral and dental health, it helps strengthen teeth and gums.
6. Promote Respiratory Health. Rose otto can also be helpful to people who are suffering from respiratory problems such as allergic rhinitis or hay fever, cough and asthma by clearing air pathways that promote easy breathing.
7. Regulates Blood Circulation. Prevents blood clotting and improve the overall blood circulation in your body. Due to its antioxidant properties, it can also purify and clean your blood by removing unwanted toxins.
8. Aids Digestion. Treats digestive problems such as constipation since it’s a powerful laxative that gets rid of bad bacteria in your digestive tract preventing food poisoning, cholera and other diseases caused by bad gut bacteria.
9. Menstrual Support. Can help reduce and treat premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and menopausal symptoms. It can help decrease hot flashes and menstrual cramps by regulating your menstrual cycle.
10. Natural Aphrodisiac. Can improve and boost your libido while offering a calming and aromatic scent. It can actually help people who are suffering from sexual dysfunction related to stress by balancing their sex hormones.
Directions for Use
Keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to consistently follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the rose otto essential oil, it can also be used in different ways. Some of these are:
- Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will bring an uplifting vibe in the air, reducing your stress levels and promote feelings of happiness.
- Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body, soothe your skin or treat menstrual cramps.
- Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to refresh your skin. You can also use it as a facial toner making your skin smooth, soft and supple.
- Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing, skin hydration and ease nervous tension.
- Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation. It can also rejuvenate your senses and uplift your spirits.
Try these Rose Otto Essential Oil recipes:
For Toning Skin
For Stress and Anxiety Relief
For Aromatic Room Spray
Precautions and Side Effects
Do not take orally. Always remember not to take essential oils internally. Large intake of rose otto has been associated with serious side effects such as vomiting, diarrhoea and anorexia.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause adverse effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist.
Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin should be cautious when using this kind of product for it may irritate and damage their skin. They should dilute the rose otto with another carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil. It is better to do a skin patch test first to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions when the oil is applied directly to the skin.
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individuals can experience an allergic reaction to roses. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to rose otto essential oil should be considered a medical emergency.