What is Pomegranate Carrier Oil?
Pomegranate fruit is known for having high levels of antioxidants where it contains three times the antioxidant levels of red wine and green tea.
The pomegranate seed oil is also a prized ingredient in cosmetic products for it nourishes the skin and brightens dull skin since it's a rich source of vitamins and minerals such as folate, vitamin K and potassium.
It is popular in the natural beauty industry since it contains essential nutrients and compounds that the skin needs such as vitamin C and punicic acid giving the ability to repair skin.
Aside from its use in cosmetics, pomegranates are also used as a food colourant and flavouring in different recipes.
Origin of Pomegranate Carrier Oil
The pomegranate carrier oil is extracted using the method of cold expression or cold pressing of the dried seeds of the pomegranate fruit or Punica granatum.
Pomegranate fruit grows in small trees that are native to Iran, India and was cultivated in the Mediterranean Region since the ancient times.
The word pomegranate has been derived from the Latin words "pomum" which means apple and "granatum" that means seeded.
The red seeds of pomegranate fruit are very nutritious and full of benefits when it comes to skin care and optimal health.
Major Composition of Pomegranate Oil
● Punicic Acid ● Linoleic Acid
● Oleic Acid ● Palmitic Acid
● Stearic Acid ● Linolenic Acid
● Ellagic Acid ● Gallic Acid
Uses and Benefits of Pomegranate Oil
1. Skin Care. It provides skin protection against ultraviolet and sun damage. It contains anti-aging properties that reduce the appearances of wrinkles and fine lines. The good thing about this oil is that it is perfect for all skin types which can restore the pH balance on your skin and treat skin problems.
2. Aids Digestion. This oil is rich in fibre, so it is helpful for digestion and weight loss support. It has also been used in Ayurvedic medicine in helping soothe stomach issues and cure gut disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhoea and bloating.
3. Promotes Heart Health. Drinking pomegranate juice can promote your heart health reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and stroke attacks since it has high levels of punicic acid and antioxidants that help normalize your cholesterol levels, preventing the buildup of cholesterol in arteries.
4. Healthy Hair. Promotes healthy hair while treating dry and frizzy hair. It can also eliminate dandruff for it stimulate the proper blood circulation your scalp. Also, since it has high levels of punicic acid it can effectively strengthen your hair follicles.
5. Increases Immunity. This oil is rich in important vitamins and minerals which help fight off free radicals. There are also research findings that the seed extract of pomegranates contains anti-influenza properties which increases your body's defences against infections and diseases.
6. Relieve Muscle Ache. Contains anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve muscle spasms and joint pain. The fatty acids that can be found in pomegranate seed oil have the power to reduce swelling of muscles and joints since it penetrates deeply into the skin.
7. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels. This oil contains antidiabetic effect which can help people who have type-2 diabetes in managing their blood sugar levels. It can also lower their insulin resistance and decrease plasma glucose as the fruit's sugars are rich in antioxidants.
8. Cancer Prevention. Pomegranate oil has ellagic acid which is a compound that can retard the growth of cancer cells in the body. Studies show that pomegranate seed oil and juice can reduce cancer cell invasion especially cancers of the breast, prostate and colon.
9. Prevents Hormonal Imbalances. Pomegranate can help balance menstrual cycles for women, enhance fertility and aid in premenstrual syndrome (PMS). It can help in balancing your hormones since it has estrogenic effects where estrogen is an essential hormone in woman's body to have a healthy cycle and wellbeing.
10. Memory Boost. Pomegranate oil has the power to improve memory and boost your cognitive function. Studies show that the seed oil of the pomegranate fruit can reduce your risk of having neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
Directions for Use
Always keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to consistently follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist and health practitioner. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the pomegranate carrier oil, it can also be used in different ways. Some of these are:
- Diffuser. An essential carrier oil used for diluting essential oils. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This can help in promoting concentration and focus.
- Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, just combine 4 tablespoons of pomegranate seed oil and 8 drops of essential oil, then gently massage over your body to revive the skin or treat muscle spasms.
- Spritz. Mix with other essential oil in a 100ml water in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying, to refresh your skin. You can also use it as a facial toner making your skin smooth, soft and supple.
- Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing, skin hydration and ease nervous tension.
- Bath. Mix pomegranate carrier oil with any essential oil. Add 5 to 11 drops of essential oil for every ounce of the pomegranate oil into the water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation.
Try these pomegranate oil recipes:
For Skin Care
Mix all the ingredients to make a homemade day cream. You can apply this to your face on a daily basis to achieve that smooth and radiant skin. The blend can also protect you against sun damage and pollution.
For Fighting Aging
-1 tablespoon of Pomegranate Seed Oil
-1/2 tablespoon of Sea Buckthorn Oil
-1 tablespoon of Rosehip Carrier Oil
-4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
-4 drops of Geranium Essential Oil
-4 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
Mix all the ingredients into a glass dropper bottle. Shake well before each use. Apply a few drops on your face and neck, then massage for about 2 minutes. Do this every night before going to bed.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause adverse effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist before using the product
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individuals can experience an allergic reaction to pomegranate. Some of the signs include headaches, rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to pomegranate carrier oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin should be cautious when using this kind of product for it may irritate their skin. It is better to do a skin patch test first to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions when the carrier oil is applied directly to the skin. Some of the side effects include swelling, itching and difficulty in breathing.
Hypotension. Taking pomegranate carrier oil orally is not appropriate for individuals who have low blood pressure or hypotension and taking medications for hypertension due to its hypotensive effects which can contribute to the dropping of your blood pressure readings.
Surgery. Since pomegranate oil can lower your blood pressure readings, it might interfere with your blood pressure control before and after surgery. You should stop using this kind of product at least two weeks before an arranged surgery.