We all know that orange fruit is a good source of vitamins, especially ascorbic acid or commonly known as vitamin C which is vital in strengthening our body's natural defenses.
But aside from the many benefits that this citrus fruit has to offer, orange oil has been widely used in cooking, household cleaning products, cosmetics and in medicines.
Furthermore, the oil that comes from the orange fruit has a refreshing and uplifting fragrance which can be helpful in balancing your emotions. It is ideal to use during your most stressful days for it will cheer up your body and calm your mind.
Know more about the different benefits you could get from the zesty sweet orange oil.
Origin of Orange Oil
Sweet orange or Citrus sinensis is native from China but it is now widely grown to the different parts of the world like the United States and the Mediterranean region.
Today, Brazil is the world's largest producer of oranges where it contributes about 30% of the world's total orange production.
Just like any other citrus fruits, orange oil has top perfumery note or head note making its scent strong and distinct from other aromas.
The extraction method being used is cold compression or cold pressing of the rinds of sweet orange. Orange oil will surely help in improving your overall health making it highly useful.
Major Composition of Orange Oil
● Sabinene ● alpha-Pinene
● Myrcene ● Citronellal
● Limonene ● Linalool
● Geranial ●Neral
Uses and Benefits of Orange Oil
1. Skin Care. A natural tonic that nourishes skin while making it bright and smooth. It can also treat acne breakouts, cellulites, as well as oily, dull and dry skin. Just mix it with any carrier oil such as coconut and argan oil.
2. Mood Enhancer. Due to its zesty and refreshing oil, it can revitalize and enhance your mood and senses which can bring happiness and positivity in your life.
3. Aids Digestion. It treats digestive problems such as constipation, indigestion and flatulence since it is a natural carminative that breaks up excess gas in your digestive tract. Studies also show that it helps prevent colon cancer.
4. Immunity Booster. It contains antioxidants that fend off free radicals making your immune system stronger and giving you defense from different kinds of infections and diseases such as cold and flu.
5. Natural Painkiller. It can help reduce muscle and joint pain due to its antispasmodic properties where it soothes and relaxes your tensed muscles. It also treats chronic inflammation on affected areas such as swollen feet.
6. Easy Breathing. Orange oil can give relief if you have colds and flu. It can clear clogged air passages promoting calm and relaxed breathing. Studies show that it can also help treat asthma by improving lung function.
7. Blood Sugar and Pressure Regulator. It is commonly used to regulate blood pressure as well as cholesterol and sugar levels. Studies show that orange contains a large amount of potassium which can help prevent heart diseases and stroke attacks.
8. Oral and Dental Health. An effective natural mouthwash to protect your teeth and gums from infections and diseases. It also helps in whitening your teeth while leaving a long-lasting fresh breath.
9. Natural Cleaner. Orange oil contains antibacterial properties the reason why it is ideal to be a natural cleaning solution or household cleaner. It effectively removes unpleasant bacteria while purifying the air at the same time.
10. Stress and Anxiety Buster. It can bring relief to nervous tension and reduce your anxiety and stress levels by bringing a bright and refreshing ambience. Also, an effective sleeping aid that will help you forget your worries in life.
Directions for Use
Keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious reactions.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from orange essential oil, it can also be used in various ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of orange oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will give you a positive outlook in life and an uplifting environment due to its revitalizing aroma and refreshing scent.
Massage. Orange oil can be used with other essential and carrier oils. Mix 5 drops of orange oil to 10ml carrier oil then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your fatigued body.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to bring happiness and purify the air. You can also use it to clean appliances and different things inside your home.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 3 to 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to clear nasal passages promoting easy breathing.
Bath. Add 3 to 5 drops of oil to bath water, then mix for a stress-relieving and invigorating bath that will also help promote collagen production. You can also dilute the orange oil with carrier oils such as coconut and jojoba oil.
Try these Orange Essential Oil diffuser blends:
For Uplifting Mood
- 2 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil - 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil - 3 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil - 1 drop of Rose Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Orange Essential Oil - 2 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil - 2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
For Relaxation and Better Sleep
- 2 drops of Orange Essential Oil - 3 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil - 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Sensitive Skin. Orange oil contains active chemicals which can make the skin sensitive to sunlight and UV rays, that’s why extra care is needed. Also, make sure to wear sunscreen when using it. While, people with sensitive skin can develop skin problems that may include pigment spots, blisters, rashes and burns when exposed to direct sunlight.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of oil is unsafe for children when taken orally in large amounts which could lead to serious side effects such as convulsion. Breastfeeding and pregnant women should also avoid using and applying orange oil directly on their skin. Consult your healthcare provider before using this product.
Drug Interactions. Do not take orange oil internally if you are taking medications like quinolone antibiotics, celiprolol, ivermectin and pravastatin because it has major interactions which can have serious side reactions to your body.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.