New Zealand green-lipped mussel is a species of mussel that has a green edge around their shells. Its extract is one of the most well-known joint health supplements across the world as it contains anti-inflammatory effects and high levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
New Zealand green-lipped mussel is known as a powerhouse of nutrition for it holds abundant nutrients and vitamins, the reason why it is considered as one of the planet's superfood. It is also called "miracle from the sea" since it is known for its therapeutic effects especially when it comes to providing relief to various inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis and others.
The extraction process of live mussels only takes 30 minutes to be converted into powdered form. It comes in the form of capsules, tablets or powder. Read and learn more about the health benefits that you can get from the New Zealand green-lipped mussel.
History and Origin
The New Zealand green-lipped mussel has been farmed since the 1970s, with the increase in production by 1990s. It is native in New Zealand, the reason for its name. It is abundant in the Australasia region of the Pacific Ocean. Green-lipped mussels can only be found in New Zealand.
New Zealand green-lipped mussel has a scientific name of Perna Canaliculus, while the mussels found in different parts of Asia are Perna Viridis. The New Zealand green-lipped mussel does not occur in tropical waters and is only available outside New Zealand as a processed food item.
Nowadays, the extract from New Zealand green-lipped mussel is one of the best supplements for easing arthritis pain. The extraction method used is through freeze-drying of the mussels then the mussel extracts are stabilized to retain the effectiveness of nutrients coming from the mussels.
New Zealand green-lipped mussel is a rich source of antioxidants, proteins, nutrients and essential fatty acids. It also assists in protecting your body from free radical damage. Here is the list of vitamins, nutrients and significant compounds that can be found in green-lipped mussels.
A unique marine lipid oil extract derived from the New Zealand green-lipped mussel. Known for its therapeutic properties especially when it comes to providing arthritis relief, specifically for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
One of the three macronutrients that the body needs as it helps build and repair tissues. An important building block of bones and muscles, necessary for healthy cell functions and transportation of oxygen throughout the body.
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for supporting the proper function of cells. Omega-3 fatty acid contains essential fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) that contains therapeutic properties.
Helps reduce fatigue and weakness. It is an important mineral that is present in the bones which keeps the bone structure protected from fractures and bone damage. It can also prevent and relieve symptoms of arthritis.
Important for metabolism, respiratory function, bone strength and muscle strength. In addition, it can also improve memory and cognitive function. It is also necessary for healthy thyroid function and protects the body from toxins.
Can help maintain your energy levels, prevents memory loss and plays an important role in maintaining heart health. It is essential in converting carbohydrates into useable glucose in the body.
1. Bones and Joint Health. Contains anti-inflammatory effects that help manage joint stiffness and discomfort. It also restores bone strength, promotes joint function and mobility. You can try Caruso’s Arthritis Fighter Tablets.
2. Gut Health. Studies show that the inflammatory properties that can be found in green lipped mussels can maintain a healthy weight, healthy digestive tract and help prevent you from having gut problems such as leaky gut.
3. Brain Health.Crucial for brain health as it supports healthy brain function, builds healthy cell membranes, boosts memory and reduces the risk of brain health issues and disorders ranging from depression to dementia.
4. Cardiovascular Health. Can improve your cardiovascular health since it contains cardioprotective benefits. It can reduce the risk of clogged arteries and coronary heart disease which can prevent stroke attacks and heart failure.
5. Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails.Has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants that can help in nourishing hair follicles, promotes glowing skin and supports stronger nails which can prevent early signs of ageing.
6. Immunity Boost. Boost your immune system which fights any type of chronic inflammatory condition or autoimmune disease. Can reduce inflammation, promotes speedy healing and prevent infections.
7. Improves Blood Circulation. Reduces circulatory problems, strengthening your interior arterial walls and improving your body’s overall blood flow. Healthy circulation is produced by strengthening the interior arterial walls.
8. Increases Fertility. Including mussel on your diet can help improve fertility on both men and women. Can promote sexual health, libido and increases the body’s production of pregnenolone, progesterone and estrogen.
9. Respiratory Health. Helps in easier breathing, clears airways and breathing passages. Studies show that it can help people who are suffering from atopic (allergy) asthma because of its ability to reduce inflammation on airways.
10. Oral and Dental Health.Effectively make your teeth stronger, support your teeth structure as well as protecting the surrounding tissues and gums that can help reduce your risk of having dental problems and gum diseases.
Dosage and Duration
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that is why it is important to always read the label and follow directions. Also, before taking any kinds of medicines, consult your healthcare provider to avoid overdose and adverse side effects.
Children 2 to 12 years old. Take half the adult dose for your children. You can squeeze the capsule contents into juice, milk, cereal or as professionally prescribed.
Adult. Take 1 to 3 capsules daily with meals. The recommended starting dose is 1 capsule twice a day with meals in the morning and evening for up to 8 weeks. After the initial 8 weeks take 1 capsule a day with a meal, or as professionally prescribed.
For asthma. It has been recommended that two capsules of Lyprinol that contains 50 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 100 mg olive oil per capsule have been used twice daily for eight weeks for atopic asthma.
For osteoarthritis.The recommended dosage is 1,000 mg mussel extract (three capsules) daily for 3 to 6 months, or four capsules Lyprinol daily for two months followed by four months of two capsules daily.
For rheumatoid arthritis. Mussel extract capsules have been used daily for 90 days. While 210 mg of Lyprinol has been used daily for 3 to 6 months.
Precautions and Interactions
Children and Pregnant Women.This kind of product should be kept out of reach of children. Pregnant women should also take caution and consult their healthcare practitioner before taking this kind of medicine. There is also some evidence that suggests New Zealand green-lipped mussel can slow the development of an unborn child and might delay birth.
Allergic Reactions. People who are allergic to green-lipped mussel or shellfish such as molluscs and crustaceans should prevent taking green-lipped mussel supplements since it is derived from shellfish. Signs of an allergic reaction include swelling, itching, breathing difficulties and rashes. An allergic reaction to this kind of product should be considered a medical emergency.
Anticoagulants. Consult your healthcare professional if you are taking anticoagulants or blood-thinning medications such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, warfarin etc. since it can cause adverse effects such as bruising and increase the risk of bleeding.