MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is one of the best supplements you can take to alleviate the pain and inflammation that is associated with arthritis especially gout and osteoarthritis. Studies show that MSM is required to preserve proper function and normal joint structure.
In addition, MSM is essential in the production of collagen which is the major constituent of joints, cartilage as well as connective tissues on your body. You can find MSM content on natural food sources, but it can also be made inside the laboratory where it is usually combined with other supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin.
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), MSM supplements are recognized as safe and can be taken to reduce arthritis symptoms. Moreover, people also take MSM to deal with high cholesterol levels, obesity, liver problems and in the formation of connective tissue.
Discover and learn more about the "miracle supplement" and know the miracles it can do for your health.
History and Origin
In 1970's researchers and chemists from the Oregon Health and Science University, Dr. Robert Herschler and Dr. Stanley Jacob have begun experimenting dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and realized that one active form of DMSO which is methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) plays a large role in the proper functions of the system in our body and can provide relief for painful inflammatory conditions.
Their discovery instigated scientists to copy the oxidation of DMSO in order to create pure MSM supplements. That's why today. MSM has been widely used to help us supply our body with sulphur which is an important building block of our body's joints and cartilage.
Research proves that a minimum concentration of MSM is required by the body to preserve the normal joint structure and its proper function. MSM was also used as a supplement for horses to improve their joint mobility and reduce pain and inflammation of sore muscles.
Natural Sources of MSM
There are also unprocessed food sources where there are high contents of sulfur. MSM which is an organic sulfur compound can actually be found naturally in fruits, vegetables, seafood, grains and meat. Here are some of the common foods that are rich in MSM:
Green leafy vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, spinach, and kale)
1. Hair Growth. Studies show that taking MSM promotes hair growth and can be used as a natural treatment for people who have alopecia by boosting your keratin levels as well as increasing collagen. In addition, it can also strengthen your hair strands preventing hair fall and split ends.
2. Improve Joint Health.It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduces joint pain and swelling associated with different types of arthritis and musculoskeletal diseases such as fibromyalgia, gout and osteoarthritis. It can also decrease stiffness and improve your flexibility.
3. Eases Muscle Pain. MSM is an organic form of sulfur that is easily absorbed by the body which acts as an analgesic by easing muscle pain and reducing nerve impulses that transmit pain. It can also speed up muscle recovery from intense exercise or acute-exercise induce inflammation.
4. Skin Health. People who have skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema and other inflammation-related skin conditions can use MSM to reduce inflammation. It also helps promote youthful and healthier skin by reducing wrinkles and skin abrasions because it is necessary for the production of collagen.
5. Immunity Boost.Organic sulfur compounds like MSM play a significant role in boosting your immune system since it effectively reduces oxidative stress that can weaken your immunity. It also promotes glutathione synthesis which is crucial for your overall health and proper function of your immune system.
6. Detoxifying Properties. A natural and powerful detoxifier that cleanses the body through flushing out toxins. MSM helps cells to become permeable in order to allow the nutrients needed to freely flow into cells that allow body wastes to flow out, therefore eliminating toxins and reducing inflammation in the body.
7. Allergy Relief. Research proves that MSM contains antihistamine properties that can provide relief from pollen and food allergies as well as preventing asthma attacks. It can help treat allergic rhinitis or hay fever especially reducing its symptoms such as runny or stuffy nose and watery eyes.
8. Gut Health.Protects the lining of your digestive tract and prevent allergic reactions on certain foods that can trigger allergens. It also prevents digestive problems, treats ulcers and effectively blocks and kills parasites from attaching into your digestive tract and living into your stomach such as roundworms.
9. Reduces Stress and Fatigue.If you have high sensitivity to physical and psychological stress, then,MSM is the right supplement for you.It helps you deal with stress and fatigue by increasing strength. Reduces tiredness and anxiety during stressful situations and uplift your spirits and boost energy levels.
10. Oral Health. It can provide on tooth sensitivity, toothaches, fight oral infections and periodontal diseases such as gingivitis. In addition, because of its anti-bacterial properties, it can effectively kill bacteria in the gums and mouth and replace it with healthy bacteria with no negative side effects.
Dosage and Duration
MSM is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) substance by the FDA and is well-tolerated by most individuals that take dosages of up to 4 grams on a daily basis. But, always remember that supplements are not always safe and require proper usage, that's why it is important to always read the label and follow directions.
Also, before taking any kinds of supplements or medicines, make sure to consult your healthcare professional to advise you with the right dosage in order to prevent overdose and adverse side effects that can put your life in danger.
For Adults. It is advised to take 1 tablet daily after a meal or as advised by your healthcare professional.
Gout Relief. Adults can take 2 tablets daily with main meals or as advised by your healthcare provider.
Children over the age of 12. Take 1 tablet once a day with main meals or as advised by your doctor.
Precautions and Interactions
Children and Pregnant Women.Keep out of reach of children for it is not suitable under the age of 12 and may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. In addition, MSM is not suitable for pregnant women and nursing mothers. Medical advice is needed from your healthcare professional when taking any kinds of supplements and medications.
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory Drugs or NSAIDs along with MSM supplements can have interactions which could affect the dosing needed for anti-inflammatory activity and might pose adverse side effects associated with the drugs. It is safe for people to visit their doctor for the right medical advice with their supplement use and medications.
Blood Thinners. Do not take MSM supplements along with anticoagulants or blood thinning medications such as warfarin, heparin, edoxaban, rivaroxaban and others since it may increase bruising and bleeding. It is better to seek medical advice from your healthcare professional if you are planning to take supplements.
Surgery. Keep in mind that you should stop using MSM at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery because it might increase bleeding. It is also advised not to use it after your surgery. You should consult your healthcare provider when it comes to your medications.
Overdose.Follow dosage instructions because an overdose of MSM supplements can have serious side effects which can lead to insomnia, fatigue, kidney problems, nausea and diarrhoea.