Macadamia nuts especially the ones covered with chocolate are popular gifts during the holiday season. But giving your family and friends a bottle of macadamia oil is one of the best holiday gift ideas because it will not only melt their hearts but also promote their heart health and general wellbeing.
Macadamia oil is one of the best carrier oils that can be used for diffusing essential oils for it is lightweight and easily absorbed by the skin without the greasy feeling.
Macadamias are highly nutritious and known as a rich source of essential vitamins, minerals and good fats such as Omega 3, 6 and 7 which are beneficial for your overall health.
In addition, macadamia oil is used in cosmetics for it is a perfect ingredient in skincare and hair care products because it deeply moisturizes and prevents early signs of premature ageing.
Read and know more about the uses and benefits of macadamia—the queen of all nuts.
Origin of Macadamia Carrier Oil
Macadamia nuts came from the tropical evergreen macadamia tree or Macadamia integrifolia which is native to New South Wales and Queensland, Australia. Furthermore, macadamia trees are also widely grown in New Zealand, Hawaii and South Africa.
The extraction method used is through the cold expression of macadamia nuts in order to retain the essential nutrients of the oil. Other names for macadamia include Bauple nut, Queensland nut, Hawaii nut and Maroochi nut.
It has a sweet and nutty aroma that blends well with any essential and carrier oils for making massage oils, facial oils and diffuser blend recipes.
Macadamia oil has a chemical profile that resembles the human sebum or the natural oil that the skin produces which makes it ideal for all skin types to use.
1.Skin Health. Macadamia is a natural emollient that intensely hydrates dry and ageing skin. It rejuvenates, smoothens and lightens dull skin and reduce the appearances of wrinkles, scars and acne. You can use it as a skin toner, cleanser and moisturizer.
2. Heart Health. Macadamia nut oil is high in healthy fatty acids and antioxidant properties which is helpful in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, heart attacks and strokes. This oil has a balanced portion of monounsaturated fats like Omega 3 and 6 that is optimal for heart health.
3. Boosts Energy. Aside from being a rich source of fatty acids, macadamia oil is also high in calories which can be helpful in boosting your energy levels, immunity and metabolism. It can also be an aid in anaemia treatment and can relieve stress.
4. Gut Health. Promotes gut health and improves the digestion process since it contains high fibre essence. You can use the macadamia oil as a natural and healthier substitute for your cooking oil for frying.
5. Eye Health. It can improve your eye health by preventing macular degeneration and development of cataracts. You can also use it as an eye serum by applying a small amount of oil and putting it gently around your eyes to minimize the appearances of dark circles.
6. Hair Health. It prevents and reduces hair fall because of the nutrients it provides. It can effectively help your hair become stronger and healthy. You can use it as a natural hair tonic or mix a few drops into your hair products such as shampoo and conditioner.
7. Lowering Cholesterol Levels. Macadamia oil is rich in monounsaturated fats that effectively lowers your cholesterol levels and is ideal for weight loss. This oil is high in oleic acid that reduces the triglycerides in your blood preventing clogged arteries.
8. Improves Blood Sugar Levels. It can effectively improve and regulate the blood sugar levels of people with type 2 diabetes. Since macadamia oil contains high levels of palmitoleic acid, it can increase insulin sensitivity by restraining inflammation.
9. Bone Health. Strengthen bones for it contains minerals like manganese and phosphorus which is essential in the absorption of nutrients on the bones. Also, relieve inflammation on the joints which help in reducing the risk of having arthritis and musculoskeletal disorders.
10. Brain Health. Nuts are known as one of the best foods for the brain. Macadamia oil can help in improving your memory and reducing the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It can also make your neurotransmitters healthy and protects nerve cells against damage.
Directions for Use
Always keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to consistently follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation is needed from a qualified aromatherapist and health practitioner. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the macadamia carrier oil, it can also be used in several ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. An essential carrier oil used for diluting essential oils. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will bring an uplifting vibe in the air, reducing your stress levels and promote feelings of happiness.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, just combine 4 tablespoons of macadamia oil and 8 drops of any essential oil, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body and eliminate muscle ache and joint pain.
Spritz. Mix with other essential oil in a 100ml water in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying, to moisturize your skin. You can also use it as a facial toner making your skin smooth and soft.
Inhalation. You can mix the carrier oil with other essential oils and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing, skin hydration and reduce your stress levels and nervous tension.
Bath. Mix the macadamia carrier oil with any essential oil. Add 5 to 11 drops of essential oil for every ounce of the macadamia nut oil into the water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation. It will hydrate and moisturize your skin.
This facial elixir is suitable for all skin types. Mix all the ingredients for a rejuvenating and balancing blend.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reactions. Macadamia nut oil is safe for internal use. However, avoid using this kind of oil if you have allergy in nuts. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to nut and seed oils. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to macadamia oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Antidiabetes Medications. Macadamia carrier oil can lower your blood sugar levels. Avoid this, if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking antidiabetes medications for it could increase the effects of the drugs which could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.
Surgery. Since macadamia nut oil can lower your blood sugar levels, it might interfere with blood sugar control before and after surgical procedures. You should stop using this kind of product at least two weeks before an arranged surgery.