Lemongrass is very popular and is widely used in different Asian cuisines. On the other hand, its oil contains revitalizing properties and has been considered as a refreshing tonic for your soul and body.
In addition to its importance in the culinary industry, lemongrass oil also offers a great range of medicinal uses and benefits. An essential component in perfumery since it has a top perfumery note which means it has a strong distinct aroma compared to other oils.
Its scent resembles the aroma of citrus fruits, specifically lemons, the reason why it’s called lemongrass. An uplifting and calming oil with an energizing aroma that can help you during times of sadness and loneliness.
Learn more about the different uses and benefits that the lemongrass can offer not only for your dishes but also for your health.
Origin of Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass or Cymbopogon flexuosus is an herbal plant and tropical grass that usually grows up to 3 feet, but it can grow up to 6 feet. It is native to Southern Asia, particularly from India, Thailand, Myanmar and Sri Lanka, the reason why it's an important ingredient in different Asian dishes.
Lemongrass is also called citronella grass, oil grass and fever grass since it can reduce fever. You can also make tea out of it to treat stomach problems, all you need to do is add several stalks of lemongrass to two cups boiling water.
To get the oil from lemongrass, the extraction method used is steam distillation of stalks and leaves of the perennial plant. Its oil is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamins A, B, C, magnesium, iron etc.
1. Natural Bug Repellent. It wards off bugs, especially insects such as mosquitoes, flies and ants. Aside from keeping you safe from any insect bites, it can also help your pet safe and sound from ticks and fleas, giving your beloved pets itch relief.
2. Stress and Fatigue Buster. Can ease your nervous system due to its sedative properties. Also, reduces your stress and anxiety levels. It can also promote the feeling of relaxation and enhance your mood after that helps in fighting negative feelings and depression.
3. Natural Painkiller. A natural pain reliever that gives relief when you are suffering from headaches, menstrual cramps, muscle and joint pain. It is also essential in regulating and improving your body’s blood circulation.
4. Healing Properties. A natural febrifuge that can reduce fever. Also, has anti-inflammatory properties which can help cure inflamed areas of your body. Due to its calming aroma, it can heal and soothe your body, mind and soul.
5. Antifungal. Contains antifungal properties that keep away yeast and moulds. It was scientifically-proven to reduce and cure fungal infections like athlete’s foot. All you need to do is mix a few drops of oil with a carrier oil and apply it on the affected area.
6. Skin Health. A natural skin toner that helps purifies and evens skin tone while cleaning away the dirt and oil in your face making you glowing and blooming. It was proven to be an effective natural cleanser for all skin types.
7. Aids Digestion. Lemongrass essential oil supports healthy digestion because it has a compound called citral that helps digest food smoothly. It also cures stomach ache and other digestive disorders such as gastric ulcers, diarrhoea and constipation.
8. Reduces Cholesterol Levels. Reduces bad cholesterol levels on your body as well as regulating your blood pressure. It is ideal for people who are suffering from hypertension which can prevent them from having cardiac arrest and heart diseases.
9. Detoxifying and Disinfecting. Contains detoxifying properties that help cleanses your body and fight off free radicals. Also, a natural disinfectant since it contains antibacterial qualities that can heal wounds and prevents it from being infected.
10. Hair Health. Lemongrass oil can also help you with your hair problems as it helps in strengthening your hair follicles and scalp. It is a cure for hair fall and itchy scalp. It can make your hair fresh and shiny by adding drops of the oil into your shampoo.
Directions for Use
Keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious reactions.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from lemongrass essential oil, it can also be used in different ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of lemongrass oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will give you a positive outlook in life and an uplifting environment due to its invigorating and refreshing scent.
Massage. Never use lemongrass oil directly to your skin. It can be used with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to invigorate your fatigued and overworked body.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to enhance your mood, bring happiness and purify the air.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing and clear your sinuses and lungs.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to bath water, then mix for a stress-relieving bath that will help you calm your mind and body. For bath use, you can dilute the lemongrass oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil.
Try these lemongrass essential oil diffuser blends:
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individual can experience an allergic reaction to lemongrass oil. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to lemongrass oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Sensitive Skin. Lemongrass essential oil can cause skin irritation if applied to the skin for it is highly concentrated. It is better to do a skin patch test first to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions when the oil is applied directly to the skin.
Pregnant Women. Pregnant or nursing women should consult their healthcare provider before using this product as it can impose interactions with the medications they are taking.
Children. Keep out of reach of children. Should not be ingested especially in large amounts as it may cause serious side effects.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.