When life gives you lemons, make lemonade or much better make lemon oil.
Lemon essential oil has its own distinct refreshing citrusy aroma that can uplift your spirit and re-energize your mind and body. It can also help you focus and concentrate on things.
It has a top perfumery note and a strong initial aroma which is similar to the rinds except that it is richer and more concentrated.
It is widely used as a flavouring agent and taste enhancer in different foods and is significant in perfumery. But aside from this, it has a lot of uses and benefits for your health.
Know more about this zesty oil and what it can do for you.
Origin of Lemon Oil
The extraction method used is cold pressing or cold expression of the fresh peel or the outer skin of the lemon fruit. This kind of extraction method is usually used for citrus fruits like lemon.
Lemon or Citrus limon is a versatile fruit that possesses different uses and benefits. It is native to India, but it is now widely grown on the different parts of the world. Its name has been derived from the Arabic term “laimun” which means “citrus fruit”.
According to Garden Guides, a lemon tree can produce an average of 90,000 lemons during its lifetime. It takes about 25 pieces of lemon fruit to make a 5ml bottle of lemon essential oil, where the lemon peel is cold pressed.
1. Muscle and Joint Pain. Gives relief if you are experiencing from body pain. Can also ease a migraine headache and different kinds of arthritis such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Aids Relaxation. It is proven to effectively relieve stress and anxiety levels where it will surely support and lift your mood due to its calming properties. It can also boost your happiness and positivity in life, eliminating all your negative emotions.
3. Skin Health. A natural exfoliator that lightens skin, reduce dark spots and treat acne. It is ideal for individuals who have oily skin for it helps remove excess oil that clog pores. In addition, it can remove dead skin cells while giving you that youthful glow.
4. Healing Properties. Lemon oil is a natural febrifuge which can bring down fever and can treat cold and flu. Most importantly, researches found that lemon oil has anticancer compounds that can help you in preventing different types of cancer.
5. Oral and Dental Health. Lemon oil can also work wonders for your oral and dental health due to its antiseptic properties. It was scientifically-proven to whiten teeth, eliminate bad breath, prevent gum diseases and cavities from forming.
6. Blood pressure regulator. Lemon essential oil can regulate your blood pressure and aids in the proper blood flow of your whole body. Furthermore, it can protect you from having heart attacks and heart palpitations.
7. Respiratory Health. It can bring relief if you are having breathing difficulties for it can purify the air. In addition, it can relieve respiratory problems such as bronchitis and asthma since it can clear nasal and throat passages, as well as your lungs.
8. Aids Digestion. Helps improve the digestive process, it can also give relief if you are suffering from constipation and acid indigestion. It also prevents the inflammation of the gut and reducing toxic gases from your body.
9. Immune System Booster. Lemon oil contains high levels of vitamins, especially vitamin C which can give your immune system ultimate protection against diseases and infections as well as improving your blood circulation and boosting your energy.
10. All-purpose Cleaner. It can be a natural all-purpose cleaner due to its antimicrobial properties which can effectively clean different areas inside your home. Also, safe to use on cleaning dishes, washing clothes and deodorizing the air.
Directions for Use
Keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious reactions.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from lemon essential oil, it can also be used in a various ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of lemon oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will give you a positive outlook in life and an uplifting environment due to its invigorating aroma and refreshing scent.
Massage. Lemon oil can be used with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to invigorate your fatigued and overworked body.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to enhance your mood, bring happiness and purify the air.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing and clear your sinuses and lungs.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to bath water, then mix for a stress-relieving bath that will help you calm your mind and body. For bath use, you can dilute the lemon oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba oil.
Try these lemon essential oil diffuser blends:
-2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil -2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil -2 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil -2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -1 drop of Rosemary Essential Oil
For Energy Boost
-3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil -3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil -3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
For Respiratory Support
-1 drop of Lemon Essential Oil -1 drop of Eucalyptus Essential Oil -1 drop of Rosemary Essential Oil -2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Avoid direct contact with eyes and other sensitive areas of your body.
Sensitive Skin. Remember to avoid direct sunlight for up to 12 hours after applying the lemon oil to your skin as it can cause skin irritation and phototoxicity to some individuals. Make sure to apply sunblock or sunscreen for skin protection.
Pregnant Women. Pregnant or nursing women should consult their healthcare provider before using this product as it can impose interactions with the medications they are taking.
Children. Keep out of reach of children. Should not be ingested especially in large amounts as it may cause serious side effects.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.