We all have different opinions when it comes to cannabis use, be it for medicinal or recreational purposes. Some people are actually in favour of legalizing it since it is very helpful for treating different kinds of health conditions such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and other chronic diseases.
On the other side, a lot of people have made a bad impression when it comes to hemp or cannabis use because many people use recreational cannabis for smoking which poses risks to health and is illegal in many places. But, changes to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code have been made to legalize the sale of low-psychoactive hemp seed in the food industry in Australia which has been effective since November 12, 2017.
Studies say hemp seed oil is high in nutrients, a rich source of protein and essential fatty acids. It actually contains little to no THC that will not make a person intoxicated or high when used or consumed. THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is a chemical compound that is responsible for the psychoactive effects of marijuana.
Read and discover the various health benefits you could get from using hemp seed oil.
Origin of Hemp Seed Carrier Oil
Hemp seeds or hemp hearts are sourced from the hemp plant which has the scientific name of Cannabis sativa. It is also the plant where marijuana also comes from. But unlike marijuana, hemp seeds only contain a trace amount of THC which is the most active ingredient in weeds that make people high and intoxicated.
Hemp originated in Central Asia where the first hemp cultivation was recorded in China as early as 2800 BCE. Hemp is grown in temperate zones and can reach a height of up to 16 feet. During ancient times, cannabis was used to alleviate pain and treat various conditions such as haemorrhoids.
The process of extraction used for the hemp seed oil is through cold pressing of hemp seeds in order to get the oil without the use of chemicals.
1.Cardiovascular Health. Has a balanced ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids that support heart health and regulate proper cardiovascular function. Reduces your risk of cardiovascular and degenerative diseases.
2. Skin and Hair Health. Treats acne and oily skin as it can regulate the skin’s oil production. Contains high levels of antioxidants which prevent early signs of ageing. Also ideal for dry hair as it gives nourishment.
3. Menopause Support. Beneficial for women for it provides hormonal balance and reduces symptoms of PMS. Contains Vitamin E that helps in the proper functioning of your nervous and endocrine system.
4. Aids Digestion.Aids digestion and support weight loss. You can include Thompson’s Hemp Seeds 225G in your diet since these are natural superfoods that are rich in protein and fibre.
5. Reduces Anxiety and Improves Sleep. Can be used for assisting and reducing stress and anxiety. If you are suffering from any sleeping difficulties such as insomnia, hemp oil can be the solution for your sleepless nights.
6. Boosts Immunity. Very essential for immunity support since it is packed with nutrients that promote healing. Contains perfect balance of omega-3 and omega-6 that plays an important role in normal immune and cell functions.
7. Ease Arthritis Pain. Studies show that taking hemp seeds internally can be effective in relieving symptoms of arthritis, most especially rheumatoid arthritis as it contains anti-arthritic effects and anti-inflammatory properties.
8. Reduces Glucose Levels. Contains low blood sugar index which can be helpful for treating type 2 diabetes. The low carbohydrates content of hemp seed oil, can lower glucose levels in the bloodstream and ease diabetic neuropathy.
9. Brain Health.Significant fatty acids that hemp seed oil possess can boost brain health. Reduces the risk of dementia and other brain diseases. It can help improve your memory and prevent the early onset of cognitive decline.
10. Eye Health.Proven to reduce glaucoma and prevent eye problems such as macular degeneration. Has essential proteins that assist your body in repairing damaged DNA and optic nerve cells which is crucial to your eye health.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always read and follow directions on product labels, then consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have side effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the hemp seed carrier oil, it can also be used in several ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Using hemp oil in aromatherapy as a carrier oil for essential oils can be beneficial as it can promote relaxation and calming effect when used. It has an earthy and nutty scent that can help uplift your spirits.
Massage. If you combined hemp seed oil with other essential oils for your body massage, it can reduce skin ageing and promotes moisturization as it contains essential fatty acids that are similar to our skin’s lipids
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of essential oil of your choice for every teaspoon of carrier oil, then mix with 2 ounces of spritz bottle filled with water. Shake well before use to promote calmness and to brighten up your day.
Bath. Putting several drops of hemp seed oil in your bath water can leave your skin fresh and soft as it gently nourishes and promotes moisturization. You can also use Dr. Organic Hemp Oil Skin Lotion 200ML after bathing for protection against skin dryness.
Directions: Mix all the ingredients in a 100 ml amber bottle. Then, shake well before use. This mixture will boost hydration for your skin and is an ideal daily moisturizer for your everyday skincare regime.
Directions: Mix all the ingredients in a dark coloured bottle. Shake well before each use, then gently massage over the affected area. This mixture can help you relieve joint pain and sore muscles.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products needs to be kept out of reach of children as it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or nutritionist before using the oil externally and internally.
Anticoagulants. You should avoid using hemp seed carrier oil together with anticoagulants or blood-thinning medications such as warfarin, edoxaban, heparin etc. which usually used to prevent blood clots. Hemp seed carrier oil has blood-thinning effects and can have interactions with anticoagulants. It can also affect how the medication works.
Surgery. Since hemp seed oil might affect your blood sugar levels, there is a concern that it might make your blood sugar control difficult during and after surgery. Stop using hemp seed oil at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery and after surgery.
Anti-diabetes Medications. Hemp seed oil can lower your blood sugar levels. Avoid this, if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking anti-diabetes medications for it could increase the effects on the drugs which could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.