Rose geranium (Pelargonium Graveolens) are one of the most sought-after classic garden plants due to its durable, vibrant flowers which are perfect for window boxes. Geraniums are low-maintenance plants and they can be easily grown.
Aside from the positive energy and wonderful feeling that geranium flowers radiate to your eyesight, its oil also offers a lot of benefits for your health.
Geranium oil has been widely used in aromatherapy due to its effective therapeutic effects. It can balance your hormones as well as your mind and emotions.
Researchers also prove that geranium oil contains anti-tumour properties which can help in the prevention of cancer and cancer treatment. It can also boost your immune system, promote your general health and wellbeing.
Read on to discover the amazing benefits that this perennial plant can offer to your health.
1. Healing Properties. Speeds the healing of wounds due to its haemostatic and cicatrisant properties which can help stop the bleeding of cuts and wounds. Also, heal nerve pain, cold sores as well as digestive problems such as diarrhoea.
2. Natural Insect Repellent. Some studies show that the topical application of geranium oil can be an effective natural insect repellent and can reduce the infection and inflammation of insect bites and other affected areas.
3. Improves Mental Clarity. It can balance your mind and emotions. It can also improve your mental health and promote focus and ability to concentrate. It can also fight progressive brain disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Relieves Stress. An essential oil that reduces depression, treats nervous tension, helps with panic attacks, relieves your stress and anxiety levels. It has been used since ancient times to treat anxiety and panic disorder for it promotes the feeling of peace and calmness.
5. Skin Care. Help treat acne, remove scars, prevents premature ageing and promotes skin regeneration since it has cytophylactic qualities that prevent cell damage. It also balances the sebum or the oil in your skin and tightens it.
6. Healthy Hair. It helps condition your hair while making it shiny, healthy and dandruff -free as it balances the oil in your scalp. It is ideal for people who have dry hair as it restores and rehydrates your hair.
7. Cancer-killing Properties. According to the website The Truth About Cancer, studies show that geranium oil has anti-cancer properties and reduce the spread of cancer cells which can help in the prevention of different types of cancer such as colon, breast cancer and lung cancer.
8. Regulates Blood Sugar. Aside from regulating your blood sugar levels it can also reduce your blood pressure and keep your heart healthy. Geranium oil has been proven to lower your risk of having type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
9. Reduces Menopause Symptoms. Improves blood circulation which reduces the formation of varicose veins. Enhances mood reducing menopause symptoms such as hot flashes and irritation. Also, help in treating female reproductive disorders such as menstrual cramps and infertility.
10. Promotes Dental Health. It can strengthen your teeth and tighten your gums preventing gum diseases, bad breath and the untimely loss of teeth.Due to its antiseptic properties, it can kill bacteria in your mouth, preventing the growth of plaque.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have serious side effects.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from geranium essential oil, it can also be used in different ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will bring a peaceful vibe in the air making you calm and relaxed.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body or treat menstrual cramps.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100 ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to refresh your skin and improve concentration.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to hydrate the skin and treat nervous tension.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will help you reduce stress and anxiety levels.
Try these Geranium Essential Oil diffuser blend recipes:
-3 drops of Geranium Essential Oil -3 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil -4 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -5 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil
For Uplifting Mind and Spirit
- 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil - 1 drop of Clary Sage Essential Oil - 1 drop of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil - 1 drop of Sandalwood Essential Oil - 1 drop of Frankincense Essential Oil
For Immunity Boost
- 3 drops of Geranium Essential Oil - 2 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil - 2 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil - 5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
For Feminine Relief
- 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil - 2 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil - 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil - 3 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Do not take orally. Always remember not to take essential oils internally. Large intake of geranium essential oil has been associated with vomiting, diarrhoea and anorexia.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist.
Sensitive Skin. People with sensitive skin should be cautious when using this kind of product for it may irritate and damage their skin. They should dilute the geranium oil with another carrier oil such as coconut oil. It is better to do a skin patch test first to make sure that your skin is safe from any serious reactions when the oil is applied directly to the skin.
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individuals can experience an allergic reaction to geraniums. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to geranium oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.