Frankincense oil, also called olibanum has been considered to be one of the most ancient oils in the world and one of the most powerful oils for the spirit. According to the Bible, frankincense was actually one of the three sacred gifts offered by the Three Wise Men to honour the birth of baby Jesus in Bethlehem.
In addition, frankincense is known to be holy because it is used as an incense burner for thousands of years, the reason why it is very essential in religious traditions and spiritual ceremonies in the different parts of the world.
You can use this oil for meditation as it helps deepen your breath making you calm. Furthermore, frankincense oil also boosts immunity, supports memory and helps fight ageing and cancer. It has a warm, sweet, earthy and woody scent since it comes from tree resin.
Know more about the various uses and benefits that this divine oil has to offer for your health.
Origin of Frankincense Oil
The name frankincense was derived from the Old French term ‘franc encens’ which means high-quality incense”. Also, defined as free lighting and pure incense.
It was native to the Middle East, Arabian Peninsula and Africa. The extraction method used is the steam distillation of the dry resin that comes from trees of the genus Boswellia, mostly from Boswellia sacra trees.
According to historians, when the tomb of Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun was opened, one of the luxurious items found was a perfumed ointment which contains the blend of spikenard oil, coconut oil and frankincense oil.
Major Composition of Frankincense Oil
● Actanol ● Octyl Acetate
● Linalool ● alpha-Pinene
● Incensole ● Bornyl Acetate
● Sabinene ● Verbenone
Essential Uses and Benefits of Frankincense Oil
1. Heart Health. Prevents stroke, heart attack and heart disease. Also, helps in regulating your blood pressure and lowering your heart rate.
2. Skin Health. Frankincense oil has the power to regenerate skin cells, tighten skin and prevent early signs of ageing. A natural skin moisturiser and toner which can reduce dry skin, blemishes, acne spots, scars and stretch marks.
3. Immunity Booster. Can help enhance and maintain the proper functioning of the immune system which destroys viruses and bad bacteria. It was also proven to treat respiratory infections such as cold and flu due to its disinfectant and antiseptic qualities.
4. Anti-inflammatory. Research suggests that frankincense oil contains anti-inflammatory and anti-tumour effects which can help reduce the risk of having certain types of cancer such as breast cancer and skin cancer.
5. Natural Painkiller. Can lower symptoms of musculoskeletal disorders and give relief if you are experiencing joint pain and muscle ache due to conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Enhance Oral and Dental Health. Have antiseptic and disinfectant properties that can naturally treat different kinds of oral and dental health problems. It can prevent the growth and progression of tooth decay, bad breath and gingivitis. Also, relieve toothaches and mouth sores.
7. Anxiety and Stress Reliever. Can aid chronic and oxidative stress for it has anti-stress and anti-depressive properties which can be used for meditation. It doesn’t have any side effects compared to prescription medications that can make you drowsy. Also, can promote a good night’s sleep due to its calming scent.
8. Enhance Memory. Studies show that it can help boost memory and improve cognitive functions. Also, helps enhance memory retention and learning.
9. Aids Digestion. It helps improve the digestive process by relaxing your muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and preventing bowel disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), colitis, bloating, flatulence and stomach cramps.
10. Promotes Hormone Balance. Frankincense may help reduce symptoms that are related to menstruation and menopause through promoting healthy uterus and hormonal balance. It can be essential in treating menstrual cramps, constipation and mood swings.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have side effects.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from frankincense essential oil, it can also be used in many ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of frankincense oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will induce relaxation and a feeling of peacefulness.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over your body to give relief on muscle and joint pain.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spray bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to enhance your mood and moisturise skin.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to enhance deep and clear breathing.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to bath water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will ease your stress levels and calm your nerves.
Try these Frankincense Essential Oil diffuser blends:
-1 drop Frankincense Essential Oil -1 drop Lavender Essential Oil -1 drop Chamomile Essential Oil -1 drop Geranium Essential Oil -1 drop Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
Precautions and Side Effects
Anticoagulants.These are anti-platelet and blood-thinning medications such as heparin, warfarin, apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban usually used to prevent blood clots. Avoid using frankincense oil if you are taking blood thinners or anticoagulant medications.
Allergic Reactions. There are cases where some individual can experience an allergic reaction to frankincense oil. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to frankincense oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Bleeding Disorders. It is advised that if you have bleeding disorders, you should prevent using frankincense because it is an emmenagogue with blood thinning effect and could increase the risk of irregular bleeding.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects like liver damage and seizures when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist before using the oil externally or internally.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.