Evening primrose oil is one of the highly valued carrier oils used in skin care and aromatherapy for many years. It is also known for providing premenstrual support for women, treating arthritis, increasing fertility, supporting general health and quality of life.
It also comes in the form of capsules for dietary supplements since it contains nutrients and essential fatty acids. Many people with arthritis take evening primrose oil for it is rich in omega-6 essential fatty acids that can help with inflammatory arthritis and reduce symptoms like joint pain and inflammation.
It smells distinctly oily that’s why it is ideal to mix with other essential and carrier oils. Read on and know the health benefits of this prized carrier oil.
Origin of Evening Primrose Carrier Oil
Evening primrose with the scientific name of Oenothera biennis is a plant native to North and South America. Today, it can also be found in Europe and Asia, with China being the major producer of evening primrose seed in the world.
The extraction method used is through cold pressing of the seeds rather than steam distillation, in order to avoid damaging the oil produced during the extraction process.
1. Enhances Skin Health. Scientifically-proven to treat atopic dermatitis and other skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. It can also lighten dark spots, prevent wrinkles, clear acne and regenerates mature skin.
2. Promotes Healthy Hair. It promotes healthy hair and can slow hair loss which is helpful for people who have alopecia and other hair disorders. It can help treat dandruff and promote healthy scalp.
3. Eases Muscle Pain. Alleviates symptoms of arthritis like muscle pain and joint damage. Help aid types of arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and musculoskeletal disorders due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Natural Hormone Balancer. Evening primrose oil contains omega-6 fatty acids that play an important role in balancing the hormones naturally and alleviates symptoms of menopause such as mood swings and hot flashes.
5. Increases Fertility. Taking evening primrose oil capsules is one of the favourite fertility supplements among women, as it increases chances of getting pregnant and improves the quality of cervical mucus.
6. Controls Blood Sugar Levels. Helps normalize blood sugar levels since it has anti-diabetic properties. Ideal in reducing risk to diabetes and diabetic neuropathy which can lead to damaging the nerves throughout your body.
7. Aids Weight Loss. Using evening primrose oil supplements can help in maintaining a healthy weight. If you are obese and you want to lose weight, the extract of evening primrose will surely help you become the biggest loser.
8. Improves Heart Health. Due to its antioxidant properties, evening primrose oil helps maintain your heart health and supports immune system since it regulates your blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reducing your risk of having chronic disease like diabetes and heart disease.
9. Premenstrual Support. Studies show that evening primrose oil can help support healthy menstruation for women. Alleviate symptoms of premenstrual and postmenstrual syndrome such as dysmenorrhea and breast pain.
10. Cell Regeneration. Reactivates skin cell renewal, slows down early signs of ageing and regenerates damaged and irritated skin. Also, contributes to the proper functioning of your cells that can help support healthy daily living.
Directions for Use
Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the evening primrose oil, it can also be used in a variety of ways and treatment options. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will promote concentration and will help in improving your memory.
Massage. You can mix the evening primrose carrier oil with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to revitalize your body or soothe menstrual cramps.
Spritz. You need to add at least 5 drops of evening primrose oil to a 100 ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying to your skin which can be used as a natural moisturizer.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or put a few drops on your handkerchief, it will help relieve and ease your nervousness, stress levels and premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Bath. Mix 3 to 5 drops of evening primrose oil with essential oils or 1 cup of Epsom salts on your bath water for a relaxing bath after a tiring day at work.
Try these evening primrose carrier oil recipes:
For Facial Care
-1 tablespoon of Evening Primrose Oil -1 tablespoon of Rosehip Essential Oil -15 drops of Rose Geranium Essential Oil -15 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil -15 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil
Mix all the ingredients for a homemade face oil that will help nourish and moisturize your skin. It will make you younger by reducing wrinkles and soothing dry skin.
For Hair Growth
-1/4 cup of Evening Primrose Oil -2 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -2 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil -2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
Blend all the ingredients, then apply this each night before going to bed. Wash in the morning with sulfate-free shampoo.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. Some of its side effects include headaches, nausea, abdominal pain, loose stools and seizures. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reactions. Evening primrose oil is safe for internal use. However, avoid using this kind of oil if you have an allergy to it. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to evening primrose oil.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …
Items have been added to your cart
This product has been added to your cart.
Please select below how you would like to proceed.