Coconut is one of the best gifts that humankind has ever received from the Creator. It is one of the most versatile fruits that people are using all over the world. Every part of the coconut tree, from its leaves, fruit, trunk and roots were all used in different ways.
There is no wonder that the coconut palm is called the “tree of life” and the "tree of a thousand uses" for it has been an important source of food, shelter and clothing since ancient times.
In addition, its fruit offers a lot of benefits to make your life healthier. The oil coming from the coconut fruit is a well-known multi-purpose carrier oil that is used thousands of years ago. It is famous for its abundant uses, benefits and ability to heal different ailments.
Apart from the health benefits that the coconut oil can offer for you and your family, it is also used in cosmetics, first aid, culinary purposes and household products which only proves its versatility.
Read and discover the various health benefits that you can get from the prized “oil of life”.
Origin of Coconut Oil
History says that coconut was first cultivated in the Pacific, specifically in the Southeast Asia region since coconut can be found in tropical countries. The coconut has been introduced to the world because of ancient Austronesians that established trade routes. Today, coconut is widely grown to the different parts of the world.
The coconut has a scientific name of Cocos nucifera. Its name has been derived from the 16th-century Spanish word “coco” that means “head” or “skull” because the coconut shell resembles facial features.
Coconut oil is sourced from the nut or fruit of the coconut tree. Where the extraction method used is through cold pressing of the coconut meat where there is no outside heat source and only the high pressure is utilized from the machine.
Aside from coconut oil, there is also “virgin coconut oil” in which the oil is generally unprocessed and in its purest form for it has not undergone bleaching, refining or deodorizing.
1. Hair Health.Used since ancient times to stimulate hair growth and moisturize hair and scalp. Treats dandruff as well as frizzy and dry hair conditions. It can make your hair shiny, soft and healthy by preventing hair breakage.
3. Oral Health. Has anti-bacterial properties that make it ideal for mouth pulling which helps attack harmful bacteria in your mouth preventing plaque buildup and reduces the risk of gum disease such as gingivitis.
4. Fight Fungal Infections. Studies suggest that coconut oil should be used for treating fungal or yeast infections due to its effective anti-fungal properties. It has been proven to be effective for killing the Candida albicans strain.
5. Immunity and Energy Boost. Has essential nutrients that strengthen immune system and refuel your energy. Its fatty acids can kill harmful bacteria and viruses which can help prevent you from having infections and diseases.
6. Aids Digestion.Coconut oil is easy to digest and has a compound called caprylic acid which fights inflammation and yeast overgrowth in the intestines. This can help aid your digestion and protect you from having gut disorders.
7. Thyroid Health. Due to its effective anti-inflammatory properties, it can reduce inflammation that could lead to hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. It can also promote thyroid health by supporting its proper function.
8. Brain Health and Stress Buster. Contains good fats that the brain needs, linked in reducing depression, memory loss and aids in stress management. It can boost your mood and help improve your memory function.
9. Bone Health.Help in the absorption of magnesium and calcium in your body which are essential minerals that aid in the development of strong teeth and bones. It can also prevent you from having muscle cramps and joint pain.
10. Natural Detox. Cleanses your colon, liver and kidneys without having adverse effects. You can use Naturopathica Fatblaster Coconut Detox 750ml to help flush away toxins which help reduce belly bloating and rejuvenate your body.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to strictly follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that could lead to serious side effects.
For carrier oils, Proper consultation and assistance are needed from your healthcare practitioner or qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the coconut carrier oil, it can also be used in a variety of ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Coconut oil is used for diluting essential oils. Add the desired number of drops or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will bring a relaxing feeling that can help reduce your stress levels.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, just combine 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 8 drops of any essential oils of your choice, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body and eliminate muscle ache and joint pain.
Spritz. Mix with other essential oil in a 100ml water in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying to moisturize your skin. You can also use it as a facial moisturizer to help make your skin smooth and soft.
Bath. Mix the coconut oil with any essential oil. Add 5 to 11 drops of essential oil for every ounce of the coconut oil into the water, the mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation. It will help hydrate and moisturize your skin.
Directions: Mix all the ingredients in a container. Wet your face with lukewarm water. Take a small amount of the face scrub hen rub in small circles all over your face. Rinse your face with warm water then pat dry. After that, you can now enjoy your supple and softer skin.
Directions: Add coconut oil and essential oils in a diffuser. If you are using a reed diffuser put the mixture in a bottle the gently mix the oils together before adding the reeds into the bottle. Let it soak for one hour before flipping the reeds over. Enjoy this aroma that will surely give you serenity amidst being busy
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider before using any carrier oils externally or internally.
Allergic Reactions. Though coconut oil is safe for internal use, it is still best to consult your healthcare practitioner before taking it orally. Avoid using this kind of oil if you have allergic reactions to it. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to coconut. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to coconut oil should be considered a medical emergency.
High Cholesterol. Since coconut oil contains a type of fat that can increase your cholesterol levels, people with high cholesterol levels are advised to consult their healthcare practitioner before using coconut oil internally as it can increase low-density lipoprotein cholesterol which could impose health risks.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.