Clary sage oil is an essential oil that offers a lot of benefits especially for women, the reason why it’s also dubbed as the “woman’s oil” or “woman’s warrior”.
The oil of clary sage has been scientifically-proven to regulate menstrual cycles and give you support during your most stressful days, for it will help relax your nerves, mind and body.
It has a sweet, earthy, herbaceous, floral scent that can create a relaxing environment which can promote a feeling of euphoria and could help ease your fears in life.
Read and know more about the amazing uses and health benefits of this oil.
Origin of Clary Sage Oil
The oil is extracted from the flower of Clary Sage plant or Salvia sclarea that is known to be medicinal. The extraction method used to get the oil is through steam distillation of the leaves and flowering tops.
Clary sage's colour ranges from white to pink to lilac and is native to the northern Mediterranean Basin. It is also cultivated in Europe, England and Morocco.
Ancient Romans also used to call it clarus, which means “clear”, for its use as an eyewash. Clary sage is also known as clear eye, eye bright, clary, muscatel sage and clay wort.
In addition, clary sage is also used as a flavouring agent in foods and drinks, as well as, fragrance in cleansers, soaps, lotions for it has a heart or middle perfumery note which has a dominant fragrance and lasts longer than the top perfume notes.
Major Composition of Clary Sage Oil
● Linalyl acetate ● Caryophyllene
● Linalool ● alpha-Terpineol
● Sclareol ● Geraniol
● Germacrene D ● Neryl acetate
Essential Uses and Benefits of Clary Sage Oil
1. Beneficial woman’s oil. Improves female reproductive health and is known to have an emmenagogue effect which relieves menstrual pain and cramps (dysmenorrhoea). Also, supports women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) who are suffering from hormonal imbalances, hot flashes and mood changes.
2. Skin Health. It calms and soothes dry or mature skin. Also, regulates oil production, tighten loose skin and reduces irritation caused by free radicals. It protects the skin from dermatitis and breakouts.
3. Stress and Anxiety Buster. Due to its antidepressant properties, clary sage oil can relieve stress and anxiety levels by uplifting mood, boosting self-esteem and easing symptoms of depression.
4. Improves Eye Health. Help remove foreign objects from the eye, as well as improves vision by addressing eye-related problems such as strained or tired eyes.
5. Promotes Better Sleep. Acts as a sedative that helps promote more restful sleep. Also, calms the nervous system which aids sleep disorders like insomnia and sleep apnoea.
6. Natural Disinfectant. Proven to have antibacterial and antiseptic properties that would be effective for cleansing and eliminating infections. Research also suggests that clary sage has anti-fungal effects.
7. Oral Health. Contains astringent properties that help improves oral hygiene by reducing inflammation, strengthens gums and prevents gum disease. You can use it as gum paint.
8. Aids Digestion. Supports healthy digestion by treating digestive disorders and upset stomach. Also, speeds up the digestive process and prevents heartburn and bloating.
9. Boost Hair Growth and Nurture Scalp. Helps stimulate hair growth and fights dandruff for it balances scalp oils making your hair shiny and your scalp dandruff-free.
10. Blood Pressure Regulator. Regulates blood pressure and improves blood circulation which can help in reducing the risk of having heart attacks and strokes. People with hypertension will surely benefit from this drug.
Directions for Use
Remember that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have side effects.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from clary sage essential oil, it can also be used in many ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Add the desired number of drops of clary sage or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will promote relaxation and restful night’s sleep.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body or soothe menstrual cramps.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of oil to a 100ml spritz bottle filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying, to enhance your mood and bring happiness.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix 5 drops of oil and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to lighten your mood and relieve nervous tension.
Bath. Add the desired amount of oil to bath water, then mix for a stress-relieving bath that will help you calm your mind and body.
Sedatives. Avoid taking clary sage oil orally together with sedative drugs such as barbiturates, benzodiazepines, zolpidem and the like, as this will cause too much drowsiness and sleepiness.
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider or aromatherapist.
Hypotension. Clary sage oil is not appropriate for individuals who have low blood pressure or hypotension due to its hypotensive effects which can contribute to the dropping of your blood pressure readings.
Alcohol consumption. It is recommended to avoid using clary sage oil during or after alcohol consumption for it can cause hallucinations and will make you more intoxicated.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.