Camellia oil is commonly used as an ingredient in cosmetics because it has a light aroma and can be easily absorbed by the skin without a greasy feeling after application. It contains nourishing and hydrating qualities because it is abundant in vitamins and nutrients that makes it ideal for skin care and hair care products.
Different kinds of tea such as white, yellow, green, oolong and black tea are sourced from dried leaves and leaf buds of Camellia sinensis plant, but each kind of tea are processed differently because of varying levels of oxidation.
Aside from cosmetics, its oil can also be used for cooking purposes since it has a high smoke point of 252 ° C that is ideal for deep frying and also for salad dressings, sauces etc. Furthermore, it also offers a variety of therapeutic uses.
Read and know the different health benefits that you can get from using camellia oil.
Origin of Camellia Oil
Camellia have three different types namely, Camellia sinensis, Camellia oleifera and camellia japonica. Camellia is also known as “tea oil” but don’t be confused with the “tea tree oil” which is inedible and is native to Australia.
The Camellia japonica oil is better known as Tsubaki or Japanese tea oil, which does not produce tea leaves for drinking tea, unlike the other two varieties. It is used heavily in cosmetic applications.
Camellia flowers are native from eastern and southern parts of Asia such as Indonesia and Japan, but it was originally grown in China.
The extraction method used is cold pressing or solvent extraction of camellia seeds from Camellia sinensis or Camellia oleifera.
1. Skin Health. A natural emollient that keeps your skin moisturized and glowing. Ideal for fighting acne and ageing, leaving your skin smooth and soft. It also contains sunblock properties which is great for daily application to add protection against ultraviolet rays.
2. Immunity Boost. Camellia oil has been proven to help strengthen the immune system and boost your resistance against viral infections. It is an immune modulator where it balances your immune cells to enable the proper functioning of your immune system.
3. Hair and Nail Care. It helps strengthen and nourish your hair as well as promoting hair growth. You can use this to repair your damaged hair and bring back its glory. It can also help condition your scalp and prevent it from having dandruff due to its moisturizing properties.
4.Wound Healing. Camellia oil is rich in antioxidants that help induce the healing of skin as well as the growth of new cells if you have wounds, cuts and bruises. It can also help you fight against infection and reduce scar appearances.
5. Anti-Inflammatory Properties. It contains the chemical compound called polyphenols and powerful anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent swelling and inflammation. You can use it on inflamed areas of your skin or when you have eczema, psoriasis or acne.
6. Lowers Bad Cholesterol. This oil has 90% unsaturated fats which make it a great remedy for people with high cholesterol levels. It is also antihypertensive that will help reduce your risk from having high blood pressure levels that could lead to stroke and heart attack.
7. Normalizes Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure. Acts as a vasolidator which widens the blood vessels that helps regulate your blood pressure levels which helps you reduce the risk of having heart problems. It also contains anti-diabetic properties that can lower your glucose levels.
8. Healthy Nerves. It contains neuroprotective properties that help in the recovery and regeneration of the structure and cells of your nervous system as well as its proper functioning. It effectively reduces damage on your nervous system.
9. Reduces Stress Levels. It is also helpful in reducing your stress levels and protecting your body against oxidative stress since it is abundant in antioxidant properties. It can balance the free radicals and antioxidant levels in your body which prevents cell damage.
10. Oral Hygiene. You can use it as a mouthwash as it helps in the promotion of your oral and dental health. Camellia oil can prevent the formation of plaque in your mouth and bad breath. Remember that good oral health can prevent you from having bacterial cardiac disease.
Directions for Use
Always keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to follow product labels and consult your healthcare professional before using any kinds of products that can have adverse effects on your health.
When using oils, proper consultation is needed from a qualified aromatherapist and health practitioner. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the camellia oil, it can also be used in several ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. Camellia oil contains a pleasant and sweet aroma that makes it ideal for aromatherapy. Add the desired amount of camellia oil, then mix in a diffuser with other essential oils to dilute them. This will surely help you feel calm and lift your spirits.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to moisturise your body and support your overall health. Keep in mind that before use, you should do a skin patch test on your inner elbow to see if the product will irritate your skin.
Spritz. Add at least 5 drops of essential oil for every teaspoon of camellia oil, then mix with 2 ounces of spritz bottle filled with water. Shake well before using.
Bath. You can combine any essential oils to camellia oil. You only need to mix 3 to 12 drops of any essential oil to a tablespoon of carrier oil. This will surely provide you with a therapeutic and aromatic bath.
Directions: Measure all the ingredients and mix well in a container. Then, using a small funnel, fill a bottle spray with the mixture of your DIY moisturizing spray, where you can use it on a daily basis for your skin care routine.
Directions: Mix the warm water and the camellia oil in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying the mixture generously into your hair and scalp. Cover your hair with a disposable cap, then leave it for an hour before rinsing with lukewarm water.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of product needs to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reactions. Camellia oil is safe for internal use. However, avoid using this kind of oil if you have an allergy to it. There are cases where some individuals experience hypersensitivity to camellia oil. Some of the signs include rashes and difficulty in breathing.
Antidiabetic Medications. Camellia oil can lower your glucose levels so avoid using this if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking antidiabetic medications for it could increase the effects of the drugs that could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.
Hypotension. Camellia oil is not appropriate for individuals who have low blood pressure levels or hypotension since it contains hypotensive effects which can contribute to the dropping of your blood pressure readings. Also, do not use it together with drugs that meant for treating hypertension.
Anticoagulant Drugs. Avoid using camellia oil if you are taking anticoagulant medications that include blood-thinning drugs such as warfarin and aspirin as it can increase the effectivity of these kinds of drugs that could lead to serious side effects such as increased bleeding.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.