Calendula oil is a common herbal oil that is sourced and extracted from pot marigold flowers. It is a common medicine for alternative or complementary treatment because of its cooling, healing and gentle properties.
It is traditionally used since ancient times to modern day for healing a wide range of skin disorders that range from chapped skin, rashes, swelling to lacerations. Furthermore, calendula can also treat other ailments and offers a long list of health benefits.
It also fits people with sensitive skin and can be used even in babies, so calendula products are a must in the family first aid kit. Read and discover the advantages you can get from using this herbal medicine.
Origin of Calendula Oil
Calendula or Calendula officinalis is used in traditional medicine since ancient times in treating different ailments, especially when giving relief to skin conditions such as rashes, wounds and abrasions.
This well-known garden flower is native to southern Europe and is now cultivated in different parts of Europe, Western Asia and the United States. Calendula products come in the form of tinctures, ointments, creams and liquid extracts.
The etymology of calendula comes from the Latin word ‘calendae’which means ‘little calendar’or ‘little clock’because the blossom season of pot marigold is on the beginning of the calendar month.
1.Skin Health.Contains restorative properties that help prevent premature ageing, acne, and dry skin. It can also treat skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis since it has antibacterial properties. It also evens the appearances of scars and acne spots, promoting glowing, youthful and smooth skin. You can try using Weleda Rose-Calendula Crème 36ml.
2. Oral Health.Calendula can fight against plaque build-up while soothing and keeping your gums and oral cavity healthy. It can also promote fresh breath and prevent you from having gum diseases as it is ideal for people with sensitive gums. You can use and try Weleda Calendula Toothpaste 75ML.
3. Anti-inflammatory Effects. It can relieve swollen, inflamed tissue since it has healing and anti-inflammatory properties due to its high triterpenoid content. You can use Thursday Plantation Calendula Skin Rask Relief Ointment 50g to soothe and relieve minor skin inflammations and skin abrasions.
4. Muscle and Joint Pain.It has antispasmodic effects that help ease muscle spasms and give relief if you have joint pain. You can apply calendula oil if your joints are hurting from arthritis as this can help in the fast and effective reduction in pain since it can improve blood flow.
5. Menstrual Support.Aids menstruation and give support when you are experiencing symptoms of premenstrual syndrome or PMS due to the large flavonoids in calendula. It promotes proper menstrual cycle, blood flow and helps relax muscles which prevent you from having dysmenorrhea or painful menstruation.
6. Healthy Hair and Scalp.Provides dandruff-free hair and promotes hair growth. You can use the calendula oil for treating ingrown hairs and moisturizing your scalp. It can also increase the collagen production making your hair strong and shiny.
7. Improve Digestion.Drinking calendula tea and taking it internally can help relieve digestion problems and can keep your digestive organs healthy. It can treat ulcers, upset stomach and bladder infections because of its gastroprotective properties.
8. Cardiac Health.If taken internally in the form of tablets or tea,calendula can boost your heart health and reduce your risk of having cardiac diseases such as heart blockages and cardiac arrests since it contains cardioprotective and antioxidant properties.
9. Liver Health.Cleanses your liver due to its hepatoprotective properties. It can also promote the proper bile secretion that eliminates toxins from the body making it a prized herbal for cleansing and detoxifying the liver and gallbladder. It eliminates microbial infections, preventing viral hepatitis.
Always keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very important to always follow directions on product labels. Also, consult your healthcare provider and ask for professional advice before starting to use any kind of products that can affect your health.
For essential oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from a qualified aromatherapist and health practitioner. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the calendula oil, it can also be used in several ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser.Add the desired number of drops of oil or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This will uplift your spirits, promote concentration and will help in improving your immunity and general health.
Massage.You can mix the calendula essential oil with other essential and carrier oils, then gently massage over the skin to revitalize your body or soothe muscle ache, joint pain or menstrual cramps.
Spritz.Add at least 5 drops of calendula oil to a 100ml spritz bottle that is filled with water. Then, shake well before spraying to your skin which can be used to treat rashes, swelling or skin irritation.
Bath.Mix 3 to 5 drops of calendula oil with other essential oils of your choice on your bath water for a relaxing bath after a tiring day at work, this will surely reduce the effects of stress and ease muscle pain and tiredness.
Directions.Melt the beeswax in the double boiler on very low heat. Then take it off heat and add other essential oils. Mix together in a container. And there you have it, your DIY Calendula Salve which you can use as your first aid to skin problems.
Easy Calendula Infused Oil Recipe
-1 ½ cups of Dried Calendula Flowers -1 ¾ cups of Jojoba Oil or Olive Oil
Directions:Fill 2/3 of a glass jar with dried calendula flowers, then pour the carrier oil into the jar until the flowers are covered in oil. Stir well, then cover tightly and store in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. Shake the container once per day. After 4 to 6 weeks, strain the oil from the flowers by using a cheesecloth or any strainer, then transfer it into a glass bottle or dropper bottle, then there you go, your calendula infused oil is ready.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women.This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause adverse effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reaction.Calendula products may cause an allergic reaction to people who are hypersensitive to calendula, ragweed and related plants such as daisies. chrysanthemums etc. If you have allergies, consult your healthcare practitioner before using calendula products.
Sedatives.Medications that can cause drowsiness such as sedatives should not be taken together with calendula products, for it might cause too much sleepiness and drowsiness. Some examples of sedative medications include phenobarbital, lorazepam, clonazepam etc.
Surgery.Keep in mind that you should stop using calendula at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery because calendula might cause too much drowsiness if combined with other medications used during and after surgery.