The argan carrier oil came from the Moroccan argan tree which is exported all over the world because of its many uses and benefits. Argan oil is rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids that contain therapeutic properties.
In Morocco, the argan oil is used for dipping bread, making salads and other recipes since it has a nutty aroma. Aside from the good taste that it provides for making dishes, it also offers nutrients and vitamins that the body needs such as vitamin E.
The Argan tree was also dubbed as the “Tree of Life” since locals use the fruit’s oil as a medicine to various ailments that’s why it is considered as one of Morocco’s national treasures. Aside from this, it is also used as a natural beauty product.
Read and discover the different benefits you can get from this treasured carrier oil.
Origin of Argan Carrier Oil
Argan oil came from the argan tree or Argania Spinosa which is endemic and only grows in Morocco. It was also known as “Morocco Ironwood” for it can live up to 125 to 450 years and survive in poor soil conditions and dry areas.
Furthermore, it is also called “liquid gold” since the oil produced is gold in colour and is very high in quality. It was first used by the Berber women of Morocco for skincare and treating various health conditions.
For producing the culinary argan oil, the extraction method used is the traditional procedure where the kernels are lightly roasted before hand-extracted with the use of stone grinder called R’ha. The oil that will be produced is a very thick brown oily liquid that can be used for making dishes.
While for the cosmetic argan oil, the extraction method used is the cold expression or cold pressing of the argan kernels since it is widely used as an ingredient in skin care and hair care products for its powerful moisturizing properties.
Argan oil is like olive oil but it is much richer and is used as an ingredient in hair care products and cosmetics. It is a prized ingredient for making lotions, facial and eye creams.
1. Skin Care. Argan carrier oil is a natural exfoliator and moisturiser for dry skin conditions. It also fights premature ageing and can protect your skin from sun damage and ultraviolet rays. A remedy for acne, uneven skin tone and stretch marks as it brightens and softens skin.
2. Nail and Hair Care. A natural treatment for boosting hair growth and treating hair problems. Also, conditions dry, coarse hair, split ends and scalp problems such as dandruff while making your hair shinier and stronger. In addition, it can also be used as a nail conditioner and cuticle moisturizer.
3. High Blood Pressure. It has been scientifically proven that the argan oil has the power to normalize and lower your blood pressure levels which is very essential in reducing your risk of having heart disease, stroke and serious health problems.
4. Heart Health. Promotes heart health and reduces your risk of having cardiovascular diseases since argan oil is composed mainly of unsaturated fatty acids and it is also high in antioxidants which effectively reduce your cholesterol levels.
5. Arthritis Relief. Argan carrier oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help give relief on muscle aches, joint pain and alleviate pain in chronic pain conditions such as knee osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Anti-cancer Properties. Argan oil contains anti-cancer properties and is essential in reducing tumour growth and the risk of having certain types of cancer such as skin and prostate cancer. Also, boosts the body’s defences for it is high in antioxidants that fight against free radicals that damage cells.
7. Aids Digestion. It helps facilitates the digestion process by increasing pepsin that breaks down proteins in the stomach, for your body to absorb the essential nutrients from the food that you eat. It can also ease stomach problems such as indigestion and constipation.
8. Brain Health. This Moroccan oil can sharpen memory, improve cognitive performance and boosts your brain power. In addition, it also stimulates the nervous system preventing neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
9. Boosts Immune System. This oil boosts your immunity for it has a positive influence on your immune cells since it is high in antioxidants that are essential in giving you protection against different diseases such as type 2 diabetes and cancer.
10. Liver Health. It is a natural hepatoprotective which means it naturally protects the liver from damage, infections and diseases. It is also cholerectic which means it helps increases the bile secretion from the liver.
Directions for Use
Keep in mind that natural substances are not always safe and require proper usage, that’s why it is very significant to always follow directions on product labels and consult your healthcare provider before using any kinds of products that can have adverse effects.
For carrier oils, proper consultation and assistance are needed from qualified aromatherapist or health professional. Aside from the different benefits that you can get from the Moroccan argan carrier oil, you can also use it in different ways. Some of these are:
Diffuser. An essential carrier oil that can be used for diluting essential oils. Add the desired amount or mix with other essential oils in your diffuser. This can help in boosting your immunity and improving memory.
Massage. You can use it with other essential and carrier oils, just combine 4 tablespoons of argan carrier oil and 8 drops of essential oil, then gently massage over the skin to rejuvenate your body, soothe your skin or treat muscle spasms and cramps.
Spritz. Mix with other essential oil in a 100ml water in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before spraying, to refresh and moisturize your skin. You can also use it as a facial toner making your skin smooth, soft and supple.
Inhalation. You can inhale the oil inside the bottle or mix with other essential oils and hot water into a bowl, then inhale deeply to promote easy breathing, skin hydration and ease nervous tension.
Bath. Mix argan carrier oil with any essential oil. Add 5 to 11 drops of essential oil for every ounce of the argan carrier oil into the water, then mix for an aromatic bath that will provide skin nourishment and relaxation. It will effectivey hydrate and moisturize your skin.
Try these Argan Carrier Oil recipes:
For Stronger & Shinier Hair
-1.5 ounce of Argan Carrier Oil -1.5 ounce of Jojoba Carrier Oil -30 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil -30 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -30 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Mix all the ingredients and put in a glass bottle. Shake well before applying to your hair. This will make your hair thicker, stronger and shinier. Remember to dilute the essential oils with additional carrier oils, depending on the sensitivity of your skin.
For Conditioning Dry Hair
-10 ml of Argan Carrier Oil -30 ml of Jojoba Carrier Oil -5 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil -5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -60 ml of boiled and cooled water
Mix all the ingredients in a spray bottle. Then, shake well before each use. Spray on hair if you need a leave-in conditioner, adding additional hair protection and making your hair shiny and strong.
For Fighting Premature Ageing
-2 tablespoon of Argan Carrier Oil -2 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil -2 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil -2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil -2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil -2 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
Mix all the ingredients in a 10 ml amber bottle. Use it as a natural anti-ageing serum, apply the mixture every night before going to sleep to achieve that lustrous and youthful skin.
Precautions and Side Effects
Children and Pregnant Women. This kind of products need to be kept out of reach of children for it may cause serious side effects when not properly administered. If you are pregnant or nursing, you should consult your healthcare provider for medical advice before use.
Allergic Reactions. Sweet almond oil is safe for internal use. However, avoid using this kind of oil if you have allergy in nuts. There are cases where some individuals experience allergic reaction or hypersensitivity to argan carrier oil. Some of the signs include rashes, difficulty in breathing and chest pain. Therefore, an allergic reaction to argan oil should be considered a medical emergency.
Antidiabetic Medications. Argan carrier oil can lower your blood sugar levels. Avoid this, if you have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) or taking antidiabetic medications for it could increase the effects of the drugs which could lead to serious side effects such as irregular heartbeats.
Disclaimer: The health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. VitaminsOnly strongly recommends to consult health care professionals for any questions concerning your health.